Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Aaaaahhhhhh, young love... and that means I AM OLD!!

Tonight, at VBS, I had one of those really awkward moments. I was approached by another lady at our church with "So, I hear our kids are an item now". Wow! News to me. Not to be outdone though, I just smiled and replied, "Oh, so you heard, huh?"

What this boils down to is this...my lovely young daughter Gret, the one that you see above, has her very first boyfriend. This young man asked her to "go out" with him on Sunday, and she said "yes". Now, "going out" doesn't mean that they're actually allowed to "Go" anyplace. She knows how we feel about dating, and she is, after all, only 14. However, this is the first time that she's ever had a "boyfriend". She's had crushes, lots of them. She's liked a few boys, and MANY have liked her. I'm one of those moms that really keeps up with that stuff, even down to knowing which of her girlfriends are "going out" with which boys, just so I know what's going on. This is also very helpful when she gets a crush, because we can discuss how the boy treated her friend(s), and why he would or would not be a good choice for her.

She was asked out a few months back by another young man in church. She told that one "no". When I asked her why, she explained that he was her best friend's older brother, and she thinks of him as an older brother also. Plus, he's one of her very best friends, and she doesn't want to mess that up by having him as her boyfriend at this age. It was, perhaps, one of the most mature decisions that she's ever made. I was more impressed than I can say, especially since she made that decision all on her own. It also made me feel pretty un-needed, if you know what I mean. He took it pretty well though, and told her he totally understood, which I also thought was very mature. My gosh, these kids are growing up fast! He's now "going out" with one of her other close friends. Gret is fine with that, and very happy for them, and her and the young man are even closer now. I won't even pretend that it would bother me if she eventually got together with the first boy that asked her out, as I really adore that boy. But right now, we're concentrating on the current guy.

He's a sweetie. And he has NO IDEA what he's gotten himself into with MY daughter. As much as I love my child, I have to admit that she is more than a handful, and it's all my fault, thankyouverymuch. She is what one might call "high maintenance", with very good reason. This is the child that could perfectly enunciate "Don't antagonize me" at age 2, drank Perrier at age 3, rolled her eyes at age 5, totally understood sarcasm and cynicism at age 7, ate grilled honey salmon and asparagus by choice instead of anything off the kids menu at age 9, has worn nothing but Clinique makeup since age 12, and now thinks that the perfect food to pack for camping is steak and shrimp. She also loves to shop, never has enough shoes, prefers a good book to a boring movie, can't live without music, has her own laptop and cell phone, and thinks that every woman deserves to be treated as well as her dad treats me. (Yeah, on that last one, she's in for a rude awakening one day, but I hope that day isn't for a very long time, and I hope the boy can run faster than Shane can shoot, or there will be MUCH blood!)

She wants to invite his whole family over for dinner next weekend, so it won't be awkward. She also knows that she's not allowed to be anywhere alone with him. At all. Ever. Or at least until she's 18. I am very thankful that we're homeschooling, or I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on things as well as I can now. I also like that she is willing to share with me. I think about her friends, and their parents, and I want to cry. Out of her 5 closest friends, one of them has a GREAT relationship with her mom. She's the oldest of her firends, and my favorite. The next oldest one has a decent relationship with her parents, but they don't know that she is "going out" with someone right now (my girl's boyfriends best friend). The other 3 like to hide things from their parents, and that really disturbs me. Two of them currently have boyfriends, and neither their parents, nor the parents of the boys in question have a clue. (And I am supposedly sworn to secrecy.)

All 3 of them also lie to their folks on a fairly regular basis, about things like the music that they have, the movies that they watch, the people they talk to, etc. I get a lot of snubbing from those 3 moms, because they think that I am too liberal with Gret. She's allowed to watch movies that are "R" rated, even ones with yexxy stuff, as long as I watch it with her. She's allowed to read pretty much anything, as long as I read it first (there are a few books that I've asked her to wait to read, and when I explained how sexually graphic they were, she agreed to wait without any arguments). She can listen to just about any music, as long as Shane or I check the lyrics first (I can only remember one time that we've said "no", and she understood why after we explained to her what we found in the lyrics). Basically, she has a LOT of freedom, but it is a very controlled freedom, if that makes any sense. That makes some of those moms very uncomfortable. Personally, I happen to trust her (within limits) and I want her to trust me. I want her to be able to tell me when she likes a guy without being afraid that I'll go all "mom" on her. I want her to feel free to talk to me about things without worrying that I'll ground her for liking somebody or forbid her to talk to someone.

After all is said and done though, I'm left sitting here in my chair, after midnight, thinking about the gorgeous young woman that is sleeping in her bed one floor above me. She makes me smile. She warms my heart. I see a sparkle in her eyes that steals my breath. I sense that precipice that she is dancing near, the one that will plunge her headlong into womanhood, and I tremble with both fear and excitement for her. She is my future. She is ME.

And I am suddenly feeling very, very old.

12 comments:

Chari-Dee said...

Gret sounds like a fabulous young woman. First boyfriends are an exciting time. She'll have to write all about it and remember it so she can tell Abbee when she is older, cause Ab's isn't allowed a boyfriend until she's 35. JK, kinda.

My mom was the same with me as you are with Gret. I still can, and do, talk to my mom about everything. I had a friend growing up who adopted my parents and still talks to them about personal things instead of her own family. It is very nice being able to freely talk to your parents and it sounds like you are giving Gert a great foundation for the rest of her life. Good Job, mamma.

Loves

Chari-Dee said...

Gret* on the second paragraph, need to re-read BEFORE I post my comments.

Sheri said...

Dee--

You sound so much like me it is almost scary! I feel much the same way you do about parenting, etc. I allow my girls much freedom, because I pretty much trust them--at least, they have never given me a reason NOT to trust them as of yet, so we are still good! Unfortunately I allowed my husband to buy Sierra (13) a CD the other day for her birthday without checking the lyrics--mistake! Only 3 songs out of the whole thing are acceptable! But what impressed me (after my girlfriend reacted with horror when she heard what he had purchased, and she LISTENS to that kind of music!) was that my daughter agreed with my friend and told me those were the only three songs she listened to anyway, and that the others were "inappropriate". Wow. And your Gret and my Sierra sound like they could be good friends--Sierra loves shoes, clothes, the computer, and the phone... Good luck with the boyfriend. Fortunately that particular issue has yet to arise with my two girls. I don't think having a boyfriend while still in high school is the most important thing in a girl's life, and personally I think it is asking a lot out of a young girl to have to deal with all of those emotions. Having friends that are boys is a better choice, really. You get to know the male of the species better without all of that sexual tension to mess things up so that when you do finally meet a guy who makes your heart go "zing" you have a little bit of a clue what he is all about.

And good luck with the dinner--egads! That would make ME nervous--do you know his family? Whatever do you talk about? Argh!

dee said...

Charity, don't worry, I've done the Gert thing often, even over on HWSW a few times. Yikes, talk about feeling dumb! I can't even spell my own kids name, right? lol

Sheri, I left you blog comments. Nice blog, btw. Yeah, it sounds like we're a lot alike! And we do know his parents, and we even like them, so hopefully it won't be too awkward. I'll have to blog about what happened when our friend Kerri (age 16, one of Gret's freinds) dated a guya few months ago. It was too funny, and it already has Gret worried. That's coming up in a few days, so check back soon!

Robin L said...

You are such a good mom!

I'd be thrilled to have you review my newest book on your book review site! That would be very cool! Thanks so much for asking! And for plugging the other books.

(And yes, I'm coming out of the closet. Sort of. Not referencing my identity on the old blog, but I've started a new one under my own name. Jeez. Talk about schizophrenic writers!!)

dee said...

r.l... Yippee!! Give me a name and I'll pre-order from Amazon and have a review up the day it goes on sale!!

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Oh the joys of motherhood. Hang in there Dee it only gets worse. /.)

Robin L said...

The title is WEREWOLF RISING and it comes out on August 17. But I'm also having an ARC giveaway contest on the blog.

(formerly r.l., which was just too formal.)

Chari-Dee said...

Okay - Have had lots going on lately and just looked over on FTK and saw your pic! SQUEEEEE!!!! You are a ROCK STAR BABY!!! Too, flippin' cool. Am I behind or what? But, just had to do the girly thing for a minute - OMG I KNOW her! LOL

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Necklaces. Did somebody mention necklaces? Don't worry Dee I have more and one has your name on it. New Jersey is coming.

Penny /.)

Sheri said...

Hi Dee--thanks for the nice comments. I hear you about the whole "is anyone listening out there?" thing! But also like you, I just keep on writing--what else can you do?! It's like breathing...

dee said...

Char-
I know, right? I mean, I am TOTALLY ion FTK. Can you even believe that? I'm surprised you didn't hear my squeal when I saw that. And of course, I had to show the fam. Gret said, "Uh, Mom, WHY are you on her blog? That's kinda weird." Sheesh. I mean, you hit the big time and nobody even cares, right? But YOU did, Char, and I loves ya for that!!
SDCB, I can't wait for NJ. I mean, MCB in my car, and necklaces from you? Yeah, we totally need to get Charity out there with us!
Sheri, your blog is great, and I'm adding it to my list as soon as I have more than three seconds strung together to sit here. As I speak, I am getting out of work clothes and ready for VBS. Yikes, but I'm late already, and I just walked in the door!!