Friday, July 13, 2007

Day Four - So last night I got grounded...


I was up a bit late last. I walked into my room after midni...ahem...after one am. But I had a good excuse - I was "networking". When I walked in, the room was dark and quiet. So in I tiptoed, brushed my teeth, changed into my jammies, and headed for my bed. Kathy sat up real quick and issued a "You are GROUNDED, young lady!" Just like that, I was sixteen again, totally busted for breaking curfew.

We had a great laugh about it, and had a wonderful chat about all of the people we've met and the things we've learned so far. And I'll have you know that the whole "meeting people in the bar" thing is SO true. However, I firmly believe that as this is a professional conference, and I'm trying to look professional, I should stay not-so-tipsy. SO I've limited myself to ONE drink during every bar trip. Just one. Followed by much water. I think I'm just afraid that I'll have more than one and look like an idiot. You may know how that goes. Or maybe you don't.

I've been feeling very guilty because I've spent some extra time with Kristan Higgins. Charity LOVES Kristin's work, and told me I had to meet her. Well, she's just about one of the coolest authors I've met, and she knows lots of people. But beyond that, she's a stay-at-home mom who understands how hard it is to write with kids around. She's just great!

Yesterday's Keynote Luncheon Speaker was Lisa Kleypas. She was adorable, while still being classy. The fact that she gave a nod to the recently departed Kathleen Woodiwiss was even classier.

I was invited to a meeting of the RomVets, the Romance writing Veterans. I'm a Navy Veteran, and it was really nice to be around other women who shared some of my same struggles. I'm looking forward to joining their group.

I've met so many people here, and had some really cool things happen to me. However, some of those things are better left unsaid on a blog. The Man knows all about them, or will as soon as he checks his e-mail today. But suffice it to say that the "something big" that I was feeling - yeah. Wow! Some people are not nearly as scary as I thought they were.

No, I haven't done an agent or an editor appointment. I'm learning stuff here to use in New Jersey, when I pitch my book. I already know who I want to pitch to in NJ, though, thanks to some of the people I've met here. Very charming people, those agents. :)

I don't know how much time I'll have for blogging today. I've got a full workshop schedule, and am only blogging now because I snuck up to the room for some caffeine, to ward off an impending headache. I'm headed back into the fray soon though. Plus, there are publishing events today, and I'm going to try to make it to some of those. However...

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: