Saturday, December 16, 2006

Do I have an accent?

Finding my own voice

I was talking to my oldest child the other day about my writing. In tyring to explain about why it is a bit frightening to me to finish my story, I started talking to her about why it was that I write in the first place. I mentioned to her that I was on my yearbook staff in high school. I was also on the school newspaper staff. At each of my duty stations while in the Navy I wrote stories or articles for my command newsletter. Growing up, I wanted to be a war journalist. Yes, I'm serious. I wanted to have an old camera, in a battered bag, and travel to hell's armpit and take pictures and write stories that made people think and feel and cry. That was my dream. I could see it in my head.

I have no idea why I wanted to be a war journalist, except maybe because I love photography and I love writing. Seriously, I don't love war. I think war is crazy scary, and I'm not all that hot on jungles or guerillas, or gorillas either, or Kalashnikovs, or seeing death up close and personal. I watched a butterfly die one day and cried for weeks, so I'm really not sure what made me think I'd be able to watch real people die without having to spend the rest of my days in one of those beautiful wrap-around white coats. Silly, really, thinking I'd be able to do that.

But in talking to Gret, I remembered something else. See, I've always been a writer. I think I may have mentioned before how I've always liked to write, but I think I wasn't really ready to admit how much a part of me that writing is. I can remember attempting my first novel. I was in 8th grade. I wrote about 100 pages of it. I let a few friends read it, and one of their moms read it also. She actually cried. She told me that when I got my first book published, she was going to buy 50 copies of it and pass them out at Christmas and tell everyone that she read my first book. Man, I wish I could remember her name! Of course, we moved so much that I barely recall the names of any of my friends, much less their moms. Well, except Jennipher Anderson. I remember her mom's name was Pam, and she had a sister named Julie. She was my friend in 4th grade, when I lived in California.

Anyhow, I've always loved to write. I've started a lot of books, but haven't finished most of them. Usually, something happens in my life that takes me away from the story. Normal things that have stopped me from finishing have been things like moving, giving birth, getting deployed, losing my mother. You know, some real life changing things have happened. As such, it has been a bit hard for me to find my "voice" as a writer.

I think that a writer's voice is what distinguishes each and every book. Some writers are so unique that you can almost recognize their writing without looking at the name on the cover. Most of you have favorites, and it's because that person has a way of weaving together words that creates a magical place for you, a place that you never want to leave. I sing the praises of my favorite voices all the time. I can actually hear the author's voice as I read their books, and it is like listening to music for me. That's why I think it's been so hard for me. See, I don't have an accent.

I grew up all over the place. I was born in Kansas, but never lived there. I lived in Oklahoma and Texas as a baby. Then we moved to Panama, as in Central America. Then to Vegas. Dallas. California, Arizona, back to Vegas, south Texas, Georgia, back to Vegas, California again, back to Vegas, Florida, Puerto Rico, Maryland, and three different places in Virginia. I am married to a man from Ohio. He sounds Canadian. My children sound like perfect little mixes of Southern twang, Texas drawl, and California surf. But me? Yeah, no accent. None. I sound a bit like a radio broadcaster, I guess. Those of you that know me may not realize that though. I'm more of a chameleon with my voice. I can do accents, but I don't really have one. So when I'm writing, I don't hear the lyrical notes of the South, or the brassiness of the South Bronx, or the dropped "r's" of the Northeast, or the long "o's" of the North. I feel like it shows in my writing. And I don't know how I can make the words more me.

I'd like to sound like a cross between Annie Savoy and Delta Burke, with a little Kathleen Turner thrown in for good measure. When I think about it, I want people to read my words and hear huskiness and sultriness and breathlessness. At heart, I think I'm really from South Carolina, or maybe Memphis. If I could pick, I know I'd be Southern. My mom was Southern. My Grams still is. My kids sound like it. My husband is convinced that in a few years he will be (he's got it in his head that when he turns 37, he'll have officially spent more time in Virginia than Ohio, so then he will be SOUTHERN. He refuses to believe me when I tell him it doesn't work like that!). I watched Bull Durham enough to memorize every inflection in Annie's repertoire. I can do the whole "despite my rejection... I am...monogamous" thing and be spot-on, really!

I'm just not sure that wanting to be Southern, wanting to sound Southern, being raised by a Southern momma with Southern rules, eating Southern food, having all of my good memories - every single one of those happy-firefly-warm-breeze-through-the-pecan-tree-at-twilight memories- take place in a Southern place... well, I just don't think that makes me Southern. And dernitalltoheck, I wanna be Southern! I wanna sound like Scarlett when she's standing out on the side of that hill, turnip in hand, making declarations to the air. I want to sound like my friend Kim, who can make even a curse sound like poetry rolling off her Tennessee lips.

But really, I just want to be able to describe things, like the sun, as it's waving a silent goodbye to me, sinking slowly into the horizon, leaving behind a trail of lava and fire and roses across the sky, bathing the meadow outside my window in beauty. I see this sight every day. I make sure that I'm sitting here in my chair at sunset every evening, just so I can see that daily last hurrah of the sun. I arranged my desk next to a window, just for this daily reminder of beauty, to be able to witness this amazing ritual, this breathtaking miracle. It stops my heart every single time. It brings tears to my eyes. I can hear the angels singing in my ear, telling of the promise of another spectacular display, same time tomorrow.

If I could find a way to describe this in a way that other people would also be able to envision this sight, then I know I would have found my very own voice. But until then, I guess all I have to say is...

"Hey, look... the sunset. Ain't it purdy?"


5 comments:

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Dee sweetheart, we would ALL like to sound like your friend Kim. She has such a beautiful accent.

I loved the way you described the sunset and I don't mean the "Hey look...the sunset." part.

I too wrote all the time we were in the military for the base newspapers. I just finished writing a post on my blog where I said I would like to give the gift of laughter in my writing like Jenny's but now that I think of it when I wrote some of my columns for the smaller newspapers people would tell me they loved them because they made them laugh. They were supposed too. One of the columns the editor titled "Kookie's Korner". What's that tell you?

I have no idea what my voice is either so don't feel bad. Will get back to you later about your suggestions for my book. In a private email no less. /,D

Keziah Fenton said...

This is the third blog post about voice. Both JenT and I rambled on about it as well. Actually, for once, I didn't ramble. I think you have VOICE, I think Jen has a VOICE. I can tell which of you has written a comment before I even look at the identity simply by your word choices and rhythms. I'm sitting here in the dark, drinking red wine and I can hear you. "stop posting and write." : ) Same to you, sister.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
I don't know if you remember me but I was stationed briefly with you while in Puerto Rico. I found your blog through a mutual friend who has a link to your page through hers. I really like your blog and just wanted to say that I can still hear your voice and that it is unique and all your own, be proud of that.
Like you I spent a lot of time moving in my youth. I would also like to be a writer but have yet to find an idea. I just know I would like to put some words on paper for the fun of it.
Have fun with your writing and when you're ready you will finish and continue on.

dee said...

Penny - Youa re such a sweetie. I got your e-mail, and want to thank you so much! I really enjoyed your story, and will gladly read the next draft. I think you are very funny! That's something I really appreciate in books that I read, but it's not something I feel is natural for me. So, I won't try to be funny, but it does happen sometimes. I like it when that happens though. :)
Sheryl - I don't remember the other posts about voice. I'm sure I read them, but I guess I should look for them again. I can hear Jen's voice in her blogs though. And man, what I wouldn't give to be have a glass of red with you right now. Miss ya, sis!

and elle lam - I remember you! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's great to hear from you. I've caught up with you a bit, thanks to our mutual friend. She's such a riot. Did she tell you how we ran into each other? Total trip! As for your writing, if you want to do it, then just go for it! Write the story of your life, or at least a block of your life. I know there were enough "interesting" people in PR to fill a book. Go with that! And let me know when you're done, I'd love to read it!

rssasrb said...

Dee--reread your description. You not only described it so that I could see it, I could feel your joy in it. That's a voice lady. Your voice.