Saturday, February 10, 2007

All quiet on the home front

Well, except for all that screaming today!

No, I wasn't yelling at the kids. I was yelling FOR the kids. There's a difference.

My oldest girl child was participating in the AWANA Bible Quiz in Richmond today, as part of a team. Our church had two teams competing in the high school age bracket and one team in the junior high bracket. Our junior high team came in SECOND place. Our high school teams took SECOND AND FIRST places. Can you believe that? Well, knowing how much those kids studied, I certainly can!

It was just one of those really proud parent moments for us today. Our daughter is both incredibly outgoing and amazingly shy, at the same time. While she's exuberant and in-your-face around friends and family, she can seem more like a turtle with people she doesn't know. In past years, she's been on the Bible Quiz team, yet rarely answered any questions. Today, we watched our beautiful young woman blossom right there on stage. She hesitantly took the microphone to answer a question, took a deep breath, then correctly answered the question with grace and poise. I had tears in my eyes when she sat down.

It wasn't just knowing that she got the correct answer though. It was the fact that she actually put herself out there, she stood up on that stage in front of those people and used her voice, spoke those words with confidence, remembered to say "Sir" at the end of her answer, and even managed a small smile upon learning she got it right. Three years ago, it was hard to watch her, knowing how hard she'd studied, but also knowing she was too nervous to answer anything. Today, it was like watching a beautiful sunset, that perfect balance of brilliance and peace that steals over your heart, catches your breth, and quiets your soul.

I've watched her grow a lot in these last 6 months. I know, it happens, right? They grow up, don't they? I KNOW THIS. Yet still, seeing her today, standing firm, holding that mic, it made my heart swell. I again caught a glimpse of the woman that she is becoming.

Even better than that was after the quiz, when they announced the winners. Her team took SECOND place, only a few points behind the other team. But the real test came when our youngest two girls got so excited about the win that they wanted to congratulate her. Normally one to insist on personal space and avoid physical contact from her family members, when they stood in front of where she was sitting, she grabbed them and pulled them close, held on to them for a moment, even smiled at them. Even more than her using her voice on stage today, this showed me how much she is maturing. She's learning to show the love that I know is in her heart, even when her friends are watching. She's starting to realize that she's her very own person, and that person is someone to be proud of!

And of course, the rest of the parents were just as proud of our teams. In this day and age, many folks are lucky if their kids will even attend church grudgingly. Our kids didn't have to participate. They knew it would be tough. They knew that they'd have to memorize dozens of verses, learn tons of facts, and spend an endless amount of time studying God's Word. Still, they committed themselves to the task. Today, they exemplified the AWANA key verse, 2 Timothy 2:15, which says "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Truly, there is no better example of Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed than that!

5 comments:

Chari-Dee said...

WOOHOO Gret! So proud of you chica! And I'm the same way, a lot more outgoing with family and friends than people I don't know. Forensics in HS really helped get me over it, the way it sounds like AWANA is helping you.

Luvs

Cherry Red said...

That's great. Congratulations to both of you. I can only imagine how amazing it must be to see her blossom into such a fine young lady.

sniff, sniff.

Hugs,
Kim

McB said...

Dee that's so great! And even though I don't have kids of my own, I know where you are coming from. Watching my sister's 3 grow up is an incredible experience. I'm so proud of the people they are becoming (so much like me, don't you know) but I really miss the kids they were too.

Tell Gret that the CBs are proud of her.

rssasrb said...

That's wonderful Dee. Gret is a great young woman.

Sheri said...

That is SO awesome--that is a HUGE accomplishment and she should be very proud of herself and her team. Those contests are tough--I remember them back from my high school days over at 1st B--those kids memorized entire CHAPTERS of the Bible!!

And I can relate to the whole thing about her growing up. I see it with my own two girls every day, and sometimes I just want to grab onto them and say "Wait a minute! You are going way to fast here, and I'm not ready to give you up yet!"....