Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What's new with you?

Does it really feel like it's almost Christmas? Not to me!

I have to say though, I'm not such a Scrooge this year. Much better than last year.

But I have been a blogging slacker. I'd like to say that it's because nothing has been going on, but the truth is that there has just been so MUCH this year, I haven't really had the time to keep up with the blog. Horrible, I know, since I was really good at it last year. But then again, last year just seemed... slower.

The kids are growing like weeds in June, but I'm working more than any 'stay at home' mom should work. I think that technically I'm not a SAHM anymore, because, well, I'm at work all the darned time. These things happen when you take a full time job, yes?

The blog isn't the only writing that I haven't been doing. My book, ALMOST SOUTHERN, that is 'almost' finished, has come to a halt. No, the story didn't stop working. No, the characters didn't stop talking. I just have decided not to write, right now. I've got a lot of things going on, and trying to balance the writing with the job with the church obligations, and still manage to be a halfway sane mom and a semi-decent wife was not working. Since I can't get rid of the job right now, and the kids and The Man seem to be sticking around, the writing is the thing that needs to take a back seat. this is not a FOREVER quit. It's just an indefinite hold. I've got to catch back up with the rest of my life, so that I can finesse the story's end and get it sent off. So if you're wondering about prayer requests for me - that's the one. Pray that my life settles enough for me to be able to write again. Because frankly, I miss it like crazy.

Christmas is just a few days away, and with that comes... the month of EVERYTHING. We celebrated our anniversary earlier this month. Still can't believe we've been married more than five years. Shane's birthday was last Friday. I took him HERE, and HERE. It was a double birthday/anniversary celebration, NO KIDS ALLOWED. Oh bliss! Second Girl Child has her birthday on Friday. We're taking her to a Japanese Steakhouse and to see a movie. Oldest Boy Child has a birthday on Christmas Eve. He will be a teenager. My heart catches when I think about that. I just don't feel old enough to have TWO teenaged children. Very bizarre.

My Great Uncle Bill passed away this past Saturday. Yes, another hard loss. I'm internalizing this one, as none of my immediate family knew him all that well. I, however, have very fond memories of him from childhood, so the past few days have been spent thinking about him and the things he said and did when I was a wee one. I also ache for his wife, my sweet Aunt Doris, truly one of the kindest women that I know. They were married for 49 years this past October. Now he's gone. That's just so hard to fathom. Please keep her in your prayers as well, along with the rest of my family out in Oklahoma. This is a very hard loss for all of them.

Have a safe and happy Christmas. Grab your loved ones and hold on tight to them, ok? Don't forget to share all of that love in your heart. "Here today, gone tomorrow" isn't just a saying. It's the truth. And sometimes, tomorrow gets here a lot sooner that you ever thought it would. Don't let a single opportunity to express that love pass you by.

Hugs to everyone!

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Sorry about the loss. This has been a crazy year, hasn't it? The book writing has been shelved here for a while too, and I know what you mean about missing it. But, you do what you have to do to stay sane, right?

Wishing you and your family happy holidays and a peaceful and productive year to come!

McB said...

You blogged!!!

Now I have to go back and read it. Miss ya!

Cherry Red said...

Dee,

I'm so glad you're blogging. Sorry about your losses and sharing your feelings about the craziness of the month.

Keeping you in my prayers.

HUGE hugs,
Kim

Keziah Fenton said...

Hey Dee
We miss your voice but understand that The Man and kids need to take precedence. Hugs to your household from ours!!
Mwah!!!!
CMS

McB said...

Merry Christmas from the Caroling CherryBombs. We've been out going blog to blog, neither rain nor sleet nor gloom ... you know the spiel ... to spread some holiday cheer. And I brought a glass for you too!!!

"Rockn' Around the Christmas Tree "


Rockin' around the Christmas Tree
let the Christmas spirit reign ...

BCB said...

McB, you're making stuff up again.

Rocking around the Christmas tree
at the Christmas party hop
Mistletoe hung where you can see
every couple tries to stop

Merry Christmas, Dee!

McB said...

Later we'll have some of K.L.'s pumpkin pie and we'll do some ..

oh, we're already doing that part. Never mind.

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Jingle bell time
Is a swell time
To dance the night away.

Merry Christmas Dee hope all your troubles soon start to be only little ones.

Anonymous said...

You will get a sentimental feeling
When you hear
Voices singing lets be jolly
Deck the halls with boughs of holly,

Dee, may you and your family have a most blessed and beautiful Christmas and all of your hearts desires in the new year.

BCB said...

Giddy-up jingle horse pick up your feet
jingle around the clock


[and then meet us over in SCOTLAND:
http://moderatelyinteresting.blogspot.com/ ]

rssasrb said...

Rocking around the Christmas tree
Let the happy spirits sing

Merry Christmas Dee

GatorPerson said...

About to go beddybye, only to discover more carol singing. And more carols that I don't know.

Alas and alack!

Happy holidays, Dee. Sometimes it's one day at a time, huh? I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I can't add any more lyrics to this one, but can wish a very Merry Christmas to you and yours! As we trail off into the night -

We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Didn't make it out and about for the official CB caroling- so you're going to be stuck with my lousy voice.

Frosty the Snowman
Was a jolly happy soul
With a corncob pipe and a button nose
And two eyes made out of coal

Frosty the Snowman
Is a fairytale they say
He was made of snow
But the children know
How he came to life one day

There must have been some magic
In that old silk hat they found
For when they placed it on his head
He began to dance around

Frosty the Snowman
Was alive as he could be
And the children say
He could laugh and play
Just the same as you and me

Frosty the Snowman
Knew the sun was hot that day
So he said let’s run
And we’ll have some fun
Now before I melt away

Down to the village
With a broomstick in his hand
Running here and there all around the square
Saying catch me if you can

He led them down the streets of town
Right to the traffic cop
And he only paused a moment when
He heard him holler stop

Frosty the Snowman
Had to hurry on his way
But he waved goodbye
Saying don’t you cry
I’ll be back again some day

Thumpety thump thump
Thumpety thump thump
Look at Frosty go
Thumpety thump thump
Thumpety thump thump
Over the hills of snow

Theresa said...

Dee, Merry Christmas to you and your family! May you have lots of smiles and hugs today and every day of the year. I'll be hoping for that writing time for you!

We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year!

A bit late with the singing, but it's heartfelt nonetheless.

(((HUG)))

Theresa

Anonymous said...

Hi Thelma!

I lost my step-dad in August, so commiserating virtually...

We miss you! Come lurk sometime!

XOXO,
Louise

Cherry Red said...

Hi Dee,

Thinking of you and sending you hugs,

Kim