Wednesday, November 01, 2006

AhNoBlogMo (UPDATED)

at least until November is over!

November is finally here, and with it comes NaNoWriMo. This is my first ever NaNo challenge, and I want to make it to the end! With your support, encouragement, and understanding, I'm sure that will happen.

Basically, NaNo is the National Novel Writers Month challenge. The idea is to write a novel in a month. In order to "win", you must write 50,000 words between November 1 and November 30. You can't work on something that you're already doing, you have to start a whole new story.

Sound easy? Sound impossible? Well, I happen to know that it's neither. But it WILL give me a reason, a motivation, to just write. I know of a few people that have actually sold their NaNo challenges as novels. Lani Diane Rich has sold two of hers. While Lani is obviously FABULOUS, and I luvluvluv her writing, I've met her. She's a real person. She doesn't have a halo or wings, and, other than her incredible hugs, she's a pretty regular SuperStar person. I say SuperStar because that's what 'real writers' are to me. "Real" meaning, in this case, someone who actually gets their stories finished, unlike, oh, say, ME. So my thought is that if a person that I've met (although she IS a SuperStar) can do this NaNo thing, then I have a shot at it too. Sounds reasonable, right?

The goal is 50,000 words in a month, which breaks down to almost 1700 words a day. 1700 words towards my story. Are you getting where I'm going with this? Yeah, if you're thinking "1700 words for the story means not that many words for the blog," then you're right where I am. I won't be blogging very much, if at all. I will try to post a weekly word count, but other than that, I doubt I'll be on here much through the month. See, I really really want to "win" NaNo.

What can you do to help? Well, you can post comments like the typical "Book Done Yet?" You can send me e-mails with smiley faces. You can send me your love! Please, don't send me links to great books that you're reading, that will only cause jealousy. Don't tell me what a fabulous time you had with your kids, I won't be spending as much time with mine. And don't talk to me about how much sleep you got last night, because I couldn't sleep a wink. I was much to anxious/nervous/excited about NaNo.

Know that I'll be thinking about all of you, and wishing you luck if you're doing NaNo as well. I know Penny is doing it, as is Kim. I can't remember who else is, but please leave a comment if you are. I'd love to be able to cheer you on!

So, without further ado...

It's NaNo time!

UPDATE:
1Nov06 10:28am - Holy cow. Just ran word count and I'm at 1779 words right now. I can't even believe it. Of course, I'm going to keep going. Just had to take a bathroom break, get more coffee, put some food down my throat, check e-mail, and let you guys know that I actually already reached my goal today. Hooray me!!

Current NaNo count:
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
1,779 / 50,000
(3.6%)


7 comments:

Keziah Fenton said...

Book done yet?
Those of us not doing NaNoWriMo got ya covered so go off write tons of good words and don't worry about a thing.
YOU CAN DO IT! You too are a SuperStar

Autumn said...

HOOORAY YOU!!

McB said...

BOOK


DONE


YET


?

Anonymous said...

Oh, damn, Dee--you've shamed me into joining up again... I was sent the invite and have been wishy-washy about doing it again this year. But there's this story floating around in my head that needs to be written and the ideas are pretty good, so what the heck?! See you over at NaNo!!

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Hi Dee:
I can't believe it. I wasn't going to do this and now my brain won't shut off. I have 6,982 words so far on day 2 because they just keep coming but I know that in the middle when it is time to really work the conflict they are going to dry up since I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
I just got an email on NaNo from someone in the same city and they have a few apparently who are going to meet up on Sunday night. I would like to go but I don't know how that will happen. Let you know.
Love YOu
Penny

Keziah Fenton said...

Keep writing you guys! I'm so proud, and slightly jealous. I have the work schedule from hell this month. But am scribbling on paper as I type this to you (aren't I talented)

Keep writing! And thinking about writing while you go about the rest of your life.

dee said...

Penny - Get to those meetings! Figure out a way to do it, and go. You'll love it. I'm heading to one this weekend, no matter what it takes to get there.

Everyone else, thanks for your support. McB, you b*tch, I got your damn e-card. Too freakin funny!!:>)

I'll be posting my new word count soon. I have some stuff to finish up, and this scene I just gotta get out of my head. Plus, I need to blog about this so far. It's just too good to keep inside!!