Friday, November 03, 2006

NaNo again

Thanks for your comments, your e-mails, and yes, even your e-cards. Your support has been a blessing.

Gret moved the coffee pot upstairs to my room on Wednesday, so i didn't have to come downstairs for refills. Then she kept the kids quiet for a while, so I could write in blessed peace. Amazingly enough, I wrote an entire scene in less than two hours. When I reached the end of the scene, I had 1779 words. That was just amazing to me!

Yesterday, I read instead of writing. I don't know what exactly was wrong with me, but I couldn't write. Actually, it was because the story was going through some major stuff in my head, and I just needed to chill while it clicked.

See, I had this awesome idea, and a basic outline, last month. Then, Tuesday night, I couldn't sleep. I knew NaNo was starting, and I was excited and nervous for it, but something was really bothering me. I had a new person in my head, and she was really insisting that her story be told. I struggled with it most of the night. I mean, I already had a really good idea, and I'd actually done an outline. I couldn't just change all of that a few hours before the start, could I?

If you're a writer, you know what I mean. Sometimes you struggle to come up with the words and ideas, and sometimes they fight to be loosed from your head. Well, taking a huge leap, I decided to go with my new idea. All of that work, research and planning would keep. The other was a really good idea, and I knew I'd use it, but right now, I need to go with this one.

Thank the Lord I followed my instincts!

I wrote most of the morning. Now, at Day 3, I'm further along than I thought I'd be, and it feels pretty good, especially considering I didn't put down a single word yesterday.

I know how Penny feels, and it's both exhilerating and exhausting. Now I'm heading out with the kids, and I'll be out most of the day. When I get back tonight, I'm going to help Cherry Red with e-bay stuff for the next MicheleFund auction. Then I'll sleep.

Honestly though, I can't wait until tomorrow, when I have more time to work on my story!



4 comments:

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Way to go Dee. Your instincts are good. Look how much you have written. So far today I have been running around but I know I will write tonight as I am now at the fun scene I have been rushing towards.
I am aiming towards 3,000 words a day to try and get a lot down in case I do have a couple of bad days. I don't know that I will achieve that every day but that is my goal.
Having been a reporter I have always worked well to deadlines so I hope that works here too.
Keep up the good work, sweetheart.
I am going to meet with the other NaNo people in my area on Sunday night. that should help.
Take care. Keep writing.
Good luck
Penny

rssasrb said...

Great going Dee. I'm doing Nanoetc too. It's a wonderful motivator. Tried to email you but they come back. Sending positive thoughts.

So glad your family is supporting you.

Robin who hasn't written anything yet today but is going to now.

Keziah Fenton said...

Go Dee! That Gret sure is a great kid. After six weeks of writing, I have less words than either you and Penny had after two days. :sigh: But you guys are motivating me to put words on paper every night no matter how late it is when I get home from work.
Keep trusting your instincts!

Keziah Fenton said...

BOOK DONE YET???
I looked at Walmart yesterday for more pink M&Ms. They're all out - big sellers up here.