Saturday, March 17, 2007

Loss

It sometimes amazes me how time has a way of changing your perspective on things. A few weeks ago, I was walking on air. Today, I feel like my heart is in pieces.

A very dear man is gone from my life today.

A friend from church went in to the hospital for a very routine surgery on Thursday. On Friday morning, he slipped into a coma. Today, we gathered at the hospital while his family said their goodbyes.

I don't have the words to express the heaviness of my heart today.

I would like to say that I understand that death happens. That sometimes it is just a person's time to go to be with the Lord. I know that's true, but when it's someone that you know, someone that you love, those words are very little comfort.

My friend leaves behind a wife that adores him, a strong oldest daughter, an amazing son, and a wonderful youngest daughter. They are all grown, but their adulthood will do little to lessen their pain. He also leaves behind many other family members, friends, co-workers, and church family. We are all in shock, and have barely begun to believe that he is really gone.

When something like this happens, you have to deal with it in your own way. Yes, there will probably be anger, and confusion, and sorrow. But there may also be joy. We know that this man is with the Lord today, and we can rejoice in that. We know that, given the choice of life here or being in Heaven, he would choose Heaven. We can rejoice in that. The sorrow comes with knowing that he will be gone from our lives, for a season. That hurts. Oh my soul, it hurts so much.

Please keep his family in your prayers. Please pray that they will have the strength to deal with his loss. Please hold tight to your own loved ones today. Give them a kiss. A hug. Tell them you love them. Don't hold back that love. Share it.

If you don't hear from me for a while, just know that I'm dealing with this in my own way. I'll be back here when I'm ready.


I miss you, my friend. I miss you so much!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dee,

My deepest sympathies on your loss.
{{{HUGS}}}
Mary CB

Michelle said...

Big hugs, Dee. Keeping you and his family and friends in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dee, honey, I'm so sorry.

Sheri said...

Dee--I'm so sorry. It is so hard to lose a friend, especially when it is unexpected. My love to you and cyber hugs... Wish I was closer so I could give you a shoulder to cry on too. You are in my prayers, and you friend's family also.

amy said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I'll hold you all in my thoughts.