Friday, April 28, 2006

Being "beautiful' in Vegas

So here I am in Vegas.
I'm here with my best friend, Kelly. She lives in Pennsylvania. She finally got here today, a day after I did.
I spent my first day here trying to sleep. I didn't go to sleep the night before, because I had to leave the house at 3am to get to the airport on time. I was terrified that if I went to sleep I would miss my flight. Thank GOD for RedBull, or I wouldn't have made it!!
My flight from DC to LAX was LOOOOOOOONG. I was in front of a row of 6 guys headed to Vegas for a Bachelor's party. I think they started their party early, since alcohol seemed to be seeping out of their pores. It was so potent, I was concerned that I would be drunk by the time the plane landed. Finally made it to LAX and was dumb enough to eat there. NEVER, never, eat Clam Chowder in an airport before a short flight. The turbulence from LAX to LV was bad enough. Add that chowder, and I almost got sick for the first time.
Vegas was overcast, which was perfect. I had lunch at the Stratosphere. It was kinda weird, going in circles around the city where I grew up. I saw the Country Club Towers, where I lived in the 9th grade. Walking down Memory Lane was a bit odd, but fun just the same.
Today, more Memory Lane, but with Kelly by my side. We hit Caesar's. I spent so many nights at Cleopatra's Barge when I was in high school, even though I wasn't even 18 yet. There was a great group of lounge lizards that used to serenade me. They weren't there today, but it was still pretty cool to see the place.
And then there was the guy that called me "beautiful". If this has ever happened to you, then you know what I mean. let me set the scene. I'm 33 years old. Yes, that's not too old, but it's older than I feel, so it's not always good. I have given birth 6 times, so I am not as small as I was at 18. I've started working out, and lost some weight, and that's good. but still, when I look in the mirror, it's just not quite "ME" looking back. I know you know what I mean. I know I'm not hideous, but Vegas is an unforgiving town when it comes to beauty. The women here are tall, and my 5'4" isn't quite that high. They are all tiny, and my size 11 isn't all that small anymore. They're all young, and well, that's not quite me anymore. So I'm walking through Caesar's with Kel. This really hot guy walks towards us. He slows when he gets near me, and leans towards me, and whispers "beautiful" in my ear. I almost tripped. I stopped and turned around. So did he. Then he smiled, winked, and turned around and walked off. It wasn't a smarmy smile. It was warm. It was sweet. It was very nice. And he called me BEAUTIFUL!
Well, my husband calls me that all the time, and I love the man dearly for it. I truly think he believes it when he says it, and it's nice to hear. I think he's wonderful, and it tingles me all over when he says it. But there is just something INCREDIBLE about a hot stranger in a wild city that whispers "beautiful" in your ear then smiles at you. I actually FELT beautiful, even if only for that split second.
Anyhow, now we're back in our room at the Monte Carlo. My cell phone is dead because I forgot my charger. The view from the room is a perfect one of the Vegas version of the Eiffel Tower. I can see a giant Coke bottle from here. We saw the incredible water show in front of the Bellagio. Now we're 'resting' which really means coffee and beer. Tonight we hit the Mandalay Bay and the craps tables. It should be fun.
Do you have a "beautiful" story? Tell me all about it. It feels good to share!

No comments: