Wednesday, September 06, 2006

They say that...


Breaking up is...hard to do....


Oh friends, it is a sad, sad day in this house. I am commiserating with a broken-hearted teenager.

Last night, the young lad called my house, while Shane and I were both away (good timing!) and broke up with my beautiful daughter! He said that since he is starting high school (first day was yesterday), and they would only see each other at church, he wanted to break up with her.

She held this information until this morning. She didn't tell me last night, though I knew something was wrong. She didn't mention it when we were all gathered on my bed at midnight, me and her and Shane (while Ems and Mags slept in the same bed), giggling and talking. I think she might have been worried about what her dad might say, so she held onto the info until this morning.

My strong girl didn't shed a tear when she told me, but I think she is still plenty upset. If you'll recall, this was her first boyfriend. They really seemed to get along pretty well. We just had his family over for dinner on Sunday, and we all thought things were going pretty well. Now, I just don't know.

I was actually worried about this very thing happening. I even mentioned it to Gret a few weeks ago. I asked her what would happen when he started to high school, and she said she thought things would still be ok. I had my doubts. I mean, they're 14. Trying to keep a relationship together is hard enough. Add in the fact that you see each other only once or twice a week, one of you is in public shool while the other is homeschooled, and well, your hormones are RAGING, and it's just not good.

So today, instead of schooling or cleaning, we're doing something else. We're going to station ourselves in front of the tv and watch every single teen angst movie that we own. I mean, besides chocolate, is there any better cure for a broken heart? Nah, I don't think so...

BUT, if you know of one, tell me. Also, I want to hear all about YOUR first broken heart. Tell me in the comments section. Tell me all about it. Purge your soul of that long ago heartache, so I can share the stories with my beautiful young lass. I want her to realize that this is not the end of the world, and that scores of women have gone through this and survived. Help me out.

And have your shovels ready. The boy just might need his head whacked once or twice. I haven't decided yet...

11 comments:

Chari-Dee said...

Tell Gret that it's all good. There are TONS of other boys out there and if this one was too dense to see the beauty that is she (inside and outside) and find a way to keep that beauty with him, well then, his loss.

Man, and after they had dinner at your house! The NERVE!!! I feel for her though, 14 is very tough and let her know that I am sending tons of good loving vibes her way and since I so totally HATE chocolate, I'll suggest watching Better Off Dead - great movie.

Loves and Hugs to Gret!

dee said...

Better Off Dead? I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!! I quote this movie all the time, and the kids just look at me like I've lost it. It's one of the few John Cusack movies I don't own, I wonder if I can rent it???
Good call on the movie, Char. And I'll tell her the rest...

Chari-Dee said...

It was on one of the movie channels the other day and Jim and I laughed so hard. I LOVE that movie. I quote it a lot too. My goodness, when the mom gets her face blown up.... And I have to admit, I once copied the whole lemon throwing scene. It really does work off some steam. If you get the movie for her, definitely get her some lemons to throw afterwards.

HEY Zes Zomesing Zis Wrong!

Classic movie

dee said...

Nah, we throw RAW EGGS. It is sooooo therapuetic. There's just something about watching the yolk ooze down the side of a tree, or the barn, that really makes you feel better.
Try it sometime. :>)

Anonymous said...

Aw, Gert gets a poor baby. I can't say I have any heartbreaking angst filled stories to share. Even as a teen I didn't do angst. A friend and I did have a routine when one of us was ill treated by a boy which had many variations but went something like this ...

"well, he was an idiot you know."

"true."

"at least you didn't have time to get used to him"

"true."

"let's get a root beer float."

"works for me"

"so about this guy"

"what guy, I've already forgotten him"

Autumn said...

Awww the poor girl!!

I hope you guys had a good day!

JT said...

Hi Dee - First - miss you, so e-mail me at jtalty@talty.com

Big hugs to your daughger. My daughter is 15 and we haven't had the first boyfriend yet. We had a "friend" but they only talk on IM and occassionally on the phone. My daughter says she doesn't have the time for a boyfriend and I think she just doesn't want to risk the hurt that goes with it just yet. My 12 year old son on the other hand, well, he's had his heart broken once and broke a heart himself.

She's lucky to have such wonderful loving parents!

Cherry Red said...

Awww, poor Gret. Please give her a huge hug for me.

Fave teen angst movie... Some Kind of Wonderful. I love, love, love tha tmovie. Pretty in Pink's a good one too. Yes, I'm a child of the 80's, how could you tell? :)

No first love breakups story to share. Sorry. I'm an anomoly. Married my first boyfriend. See? It could be worse (for you). You could be dealing with THAT.

Hang in there Mom and Gret. It will get better. I'm a firm believer in fate and destiny. Gret will meet Mr Right when it's time and not a minute sooner.

hugs,
Kim

JT said...

Dee - I e-mailed you, so hopefully you will get it.

dee said...

Jen, got the e-mail and responded. let me know if it doesn't make it. I'll figure something else out.
Kim, I agree, there's no rush. I'm enjoying this part, sort of. It's just so cool watching her grow.
And Autumn, we had a great day!Thanks!! (To all of you CBs, Autumn is a friend from my other writerly crush, Joshilyn Jackson's FTK site. Autumn ate cheeseburgers with me, and she's really awesome. Go check out her blog site. It's totally amazing!!)

Anonymous said...

Dee,

My first heartbreak was in the third grade. I'd finally gotten that note, you know the one, the one that said "I like you. Do you like me? Check Yes or No." Karen was the most beautiful girl in the school and I liked her even more than my second grade teacher from last year. Well, three days later I found out she sent the exact same note to Dean. Dean! Can you believe it? I was devastated. I went home for lunch and Mum let me skip the rest of the day.

Karen's Dad was an officer and so was Dean's. My Dad was just a Chief Petty Officer. I guess it was inevitable.

Good luck with DD. This is when she needs her Mum.

Glad I finally figured out where your blog was. I'd been here once and then lost it. Got it saved now.

By the way, if you were serious about wanting to be my CP, send me an e-mail and we can make that happen.