Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hoping for a Better Me

Being a woman in America, especially being a Southern woman in America, I've had this ongoing battle, with myself, about my health and my weight.

When I was a much younger woman, I had an incredible metabolism. I could eat most anything I wanted, as much as I wanted, and it hardly mattered. I would run an extra mile or so, do some extra situps, and not give it a second thought.

Fast forward a few years and more than a few kids, and the story is very different.

Never mind that I am no longer 18. Forget about the fact that I have physically given birth to the six most wonderful children ever born to any woman, anywhere. I can hardly even think about fries without packing on the pounds. God forbid I actually give in and eat them.

I've been up and down over the past almost decade, since getting out of the Navy took away my huge motivation to stay in shape. While in the service, I was forced to do regular exercise. I had to keep in shape, no excuses. It was required. If only I had kept to the regular exercise routine I'd established after a decade in uniform, things might be different.

But I didn't. Instead, I found out that I was being blessed with The Baby on almost the same day of my discharge from the service. I jumped into being a REAL MOMMY with both feet, and enjoyed every tasty treat I could see. I didn't worry overmuch about losing weight. I didn't worry at all. After being forced to maintain a certain fitness level for a decade, I reveled in my newfound freedom.

After giving birth to number 6, the pounds slowly melted off. I stress slowly. I was bummed at not bouncing back as fast as the other 5 times, so I asked The Man to do a Total Body Fitness Program with me. We did Body For Life. And it worked. I got healthy, and slim, and was really happy with myself.

Then my mom passed away, and I didn't have the energy for much except trying to go about life without my mother. My newly gained healthy habits slipped. I put on some weight. Then some more. Then even more.

It wasn't until I got back from a family vacation that I realized how much weight. I was looking at our vacation pictures and I couldn't believe the HUGE woman was me. It was eye-opening.

So I decided to get healthy again. I went back to BFL, exercised like a fiend, ate really healthy. It was awesome. I remember the morning that I made a 5 mile run. It was one of the proudest mornings of my life. That lasted about 6 months, until I started working full time at a restaurant.

I love my job, most days. I enjoy the people, most days. I find it challenging and stimulating, most days. But it is time consuming. And exhausting. By the time I finish work every day, I have no energy left over for the very expensive gym across the street.

I just don't have time. I don't have time to exercise. I don't have time to eat healthy. I don't have time for ME.

Until now.

I've taken a page from a fellow blogger and author, and I'm going to MAKE time.

I'm starting BetterU.

Wish me luck?

I'll Keep You Posted!

No comments: