Tuesday, July 21, 2009

There's a Mouse in my House


No, that's not me being figurative, or Seuss-y, or anything but very literal. I'm sitting in my chair, checking my e-mail, and watching him peak his little pointy mouse nose out of this space between the wall and the fireplace. He looks kinda cute, what with his lil nose and big mouse eyes. But really? He's a mouse. And he's in my house.

Are mice good for anything? If I don't get an answer in the affirmative, I will commence the buying of the traps first thing in the morning.

Of course, I'm home now. That's always a good thing. It's been a few days since my return, and I am rested enough to do a bit of a Top Ten run-down on Nationals. If you don't really care about that, then just clickety-click away from here now. If you do care, read on.

10. My roomie is vicious. Mean, even. And really should just get rid of whatever evidence she has that I snore. Because frankly, if you recorded me and it's pitch black and you can't see me, then really it doesn't count. I've consulted people about this, and they tell me that I'm correct. So don't think that you have a single thing to use as blackmail. Besides, I have pictures too!

9. The Marriot hotel is BIG. I think I may have stayed even on my weight (instead of the typical few extra pounds) just by the enormity of that hotel, and the fact that my room was in the old section, which added another mile to every trek.

8. My youngest girl child is a scam artist. I knew this one already, but watching her at the Literacy signing, where all she had to do was walk up to authors and stare pathetically at the chocolate to get a handful, really nailed it for me. She's going to be a grifter, I'm sure of it.

7. Pesto Ristorante is one of the very best undiscovered gems in the entire Metro DC area. If you're in the city and you don't go visit Vincenzo at Pesto, you are missing out. Be sure to get the boar sausage. Better yet, just put yourself in his very capable hands. You will not be disappointed.

6. Jade Lee does a fabulous workshop. I've never read any of her books, but she's a pretty darned good teacher. I didn't learn a whole lot that was "A-HA" new, but she said things that I already know in a way that reminded me how important those things really are. If she teaches at Nationals again, I will make sure to see her.

5. Jennifer Crusie has an amazing memory. After introducing her to my three younger girls, she met the older the next night. She actually remembered her from the other two times they've met. And she remembered a funny anecdote involving The Mans name. Plus, she's just so gracious. She's always a favorite!

4. Not all editors are scary people. I met one. I actually spoke with him and didn't immediatly barf. He was polite. He smiled. He very generously agreed to take a look at some of my book. It was a good experience.

3. Deeanne Gist is a dynamo of a woman. She is bubbly, energetic, friendly, and so dern nice. Plus, she's one heck of a writer! Who knew that the CBA had such wonderful writers? (Well, ok. I suspected. But actually meeting one of them was awesome!)

2. Being at Conference and still close to home was both a blessing and a curse. It was wonderful to be able to bring the girls to the Literacy signing. It was great to have Gret and The Man able to attend The Cherry Dinner. It was nice to be able to decide to leave early and just hop in the car and go. It was not, however, so great that the 52 mile trip back up there Friday morning after going to a funeral took 3 hours. Nor was it fun. Of course, that may have had something to do with being at the funeral in the first place - another thing I couldn't have done had the Conference been away.

And the Number one thing I learned this year at RWA Nationals...

1. Sharing a room with a Rita award winner is exhausting. I truly think she works as hard at Conference as she does while writing. But beyond the work there are perks. For instance, the lovely ladies in the suite next to our room slipped a note under our door inviting us to have a glass of wine. That wouldn't have happened had I been there alone.

All in all, this year was good. It wasn't terrifying like Dallas. It wasn't exhilarating like San Fran. Then again, this was neither my first year, nor was it the year that my roomie was up for an award. So. It was good.

And that's enough.

I'm already looking forward to next year, in Nashville. And the year after that, in NYC. Beyond that, I'll have to check my calendar. :)

I'll Keep You Posted!

1 comment:

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

WoooHOOO you got a request. I am not the least surprised. I am also sure they'll ask for more. I hope it is the southern book you had bits of on your blog. I want to read the whole book.

So happy to see you back sweetheart.
LOve
'Mom'