Saturday, September 05, 2009

The Power of Love

Back to the new story...
I think she's going to ask questions, then answer them herself. And each answer that she gives to a specific question will reveal a little bit more about herself. It will lead into the next chapter, if you will.

These have been really great jumping off points for me. The chapters that I've written to go with the few that I've posted here have been pretty cool.
It's just very difficult for me to write in 1st. I don't know that I'm all that comfortable actually being INSIDE of her head all the time. I don't know how you do it, Kris! This is rougher for me than anything else I've ever written.


How strong is love? I've always heard it was the most powerful force in the world. It's supposed to be able to heal people, and bring happiness, and all sorts of other wonderful things. But does it?

In my experience, the Power of Love is directly proportional to how that love is received, how it is nurtured, how it is cherished.

I've loved.

I loved so much, so strong, that I thought there was nothing that couldn't be done. With the force of my feelings, I should have been able to leap tall buildings and cure world hunger. I loved with the strength to move mountains. I loved with the depth to rival oceans.

I loved purely, with no expectations.

That was my mistake.

Giving love freely is wonderful. It was my way of saying "Hey, I'm here. You can have me. All of me. Every last piece and particle of my being is yours. I want you to have everything that I am." It was exhilarating. For a season.

I didn't love to be loved in return. There wasn't a price on my love, or an expectation. I didn't love with any strings.

The problem for me was that the love was not reciprocated. It was one sided. It was unrequited. My love, in all of its power and passion, all of its strength and purity, was never returned.

It was so strong that I was sure that it would be recognized. I was positive that one day, I would have all of that energy, that passion, that soul-wrenching beauty, directed back towards me.

When you love like I did, fiercely and forcefully and without reservations, it can be poetry in motion.

When you love like I did, it can almost kill you.

2 comments:

dee said...

Kris- This is the KATE story I mentioned a few weeks back, the one that ties in to those blog posts on friendship.
I'm just having a really difficult time in 1st. I keep wanting to switch, if just to give me some peace from her pain for a while.
Not the fun I thought it would be.
But verra enlightening.

kristan said...

Yep, first tells the writer an awful lot, sometimes not what you planned on, am I right?

I've always said that first person is closer to real life, since we don't get to read the other person's mind in real life (unless you've been married as long as I have). That, and the idea that what the narrator believes to be the truth may not be. We all knew that Trevor loved Chastity, didn't we? She was the only one who didn't.

Funny, though, Dee...your third person has such a deep POV that I remember it as first.

Love where you're going with this!