Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Reinventing The Truth

The more I think about this story, the more I like the idea of each chapter starting as a Journal entry. I don't know exactly how that will work yet, but I'm mulling it over. That serves a few purposes for me. First, it gives me a jumping off point for every chapter. I like that. Second, it gives you (the reader) a chance to peek inside her head. Still things to consider though. Let's just see how it goes...
Oh, and how do you like the title? For now, I really like it. It perfectly describes what she does. She reinvents the truth to serve her purpose. She's not exactly a heroine, is she?
You be the judge...


I expect people to act a certain way, and I'm generally astounded when they veer off the script that I've written for them in my head. I simply can not understand how people go so far off course. Those are the days that I reinvent the most.

If someone says "I'll think about it," that gets a reinvention. In my head, they are actually saying "Well, since you do know best, you just tell me which choice I should make, ok?" So I generally do.

If words such as "I'm just not sure" happen to pass their lips, that's usually reinvented as "I will, of course, bow to your expert knowledge on this one".

It's not something that I do maliciously. It's never intended as a mean thing. I just want people to stick with the script. I want my life to go exactly the way I want my life to go. It would be so much easier if people just played along. Then I wouldn't have to be constantly reinventing the truth.

Sometimes though, I even amaze myself with the lengths I will go to in order to make things go the way I want them to go.

For instance, I still am not sure how I reinvented "I love her and I'm going to marry her" into "This is something that I have to do, please try to understand, but you're the one I'm going to think about for the next 50 years."

Wishful thinking?

No, I don't think so.

Some days, I think the worst lies that I tell are to myself.

5 comments:

Chari-Dee said...

My current WIP starts with a blog entry each chapter. I love it because it puts me in the protags head. I don't know if they'll stick or not, but it does work nicely!

dee said...

It's been a really great way to get inside of her, let her talk, and not have to really worry about dialogue yet. I'm getting the feel of her.
I also had her do a questionnaire. Maybe I'll post that one as well. It was pretty fun!!

kristan said...

Writing in first person, I let the characters do the talking, but you know what? They still lie! Sometimes it takes a while to get down deep and figure out what they really want and need...which is, of course, what's fun about writing.

rssasrb said...

I'm intrigued Dee. I want to know more. I like the way you are using this interior monologue.

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.