Wednesday, August 16, 2006

B4 and After, with a hero thrown in for good measure


Now you see it, now you don't... My hair, that is. Yep, I did it today. I got it all chopped off.

Last year, I cut 17 inches off for Locks of Love. That was a shock for friends and family. I wonder what they'll say when they see this new "do" I'm sporting now!!

Today, I met up with my friend Renee and her oldest daughter, Brie, and the Tanglez salon in King George. Renee recently found out that she has breast cancer. One of her docs suggested that she cut her hair short before she starts chemo, so that when it falls out, it won't be so traumatic. She was growing hers out for Locks of Love already, so she decided to go ahead and whack it off now. Her first chemo treatment is Thursday, and they can't use her hair after her chemo treatments, so today was the day. Since I happen to have a LOT of hair, and I wanted to give Renee some support, I decided to chop my own tresses when she did hers.

Ok, remember how I mentioned that BEAST that lives within me? Well, it reared its ugly head today, while I was getting sheared. My hair was pulled back into two pigtails, then cut off. It was still pretty long on top, and I really wanted to keep that. I haven't had bangs since the eighties, and really don't much care for them on me. However, the chick at Tanglez started snipping before asking me what I wanted, and I just sat there in stunned silence as she clipped my long-on-top hair VERY short. YIKES. I started silently fuming. I mean, I got really steamed. How DARE this woman cut my hair so short. I wanted to keep some of that length. Bangs? I HATE BANGS. What the hell was that ditz thinking? I was ready to start screaming, I mean, REALLY screaming. Then, a very humbling thing happened.

I looked over in the next chair at my gorgeous (now) short-haired friend, Renee. She was looking at me - smiling. She made a comment about how great my hair looked. That's all it took. That beast crawled back into her hole and withered. I felt so small and so petty, and so incredibly selfish. Here I was, worried about the length on top, and BANGS, and there my beautiful friend sat, smiling, knowing her sassy new 'do wouldn't last a full month after her first chemo treatment. Yep, I was a major contender for the biggest bitch of a friend award today. Thankfully, all it took was an angelic smile to release me from that hateful spell of selfishness and get my focus back where it should have been.

I mean, I wasn't there for a new hairstyle. I wasn't there to change my looks or get something adorable. I was there for one reason and one reason only - to support Renee. I was the one that volunteered to do that with her, she didn't ask me to. And I am also the one that has already told her that when her hair starts falling out, we will get together and do that scene from GI Jane where Demi shaves herself bald. Yep, I'm gonna do it. It's the least I can do, don't you think? It's only hair. It WILL grow back. And really, when it comes right down to it, what is hair but a bunch of dead cells anyhow?

So today, I was humbled as I sat in the shadow of true heroism. My friend is facing her illness with courage, and strength, and class, and guts, and humor, and grace, and SMILES. I hope that one day I can be half the amazing person that she is, for then I will truly be someone.

Today, she is my hero.

10 comments:

Chari-Dee said...

I LOVE your new haircut!!!! I think it is so awesome what you did!!!!!!! I keep threatening to cut mine but I really think I want to grow it out. Sigh - I'm just never pleased

Conscripted Cherry said...

love the do- it's fun and flirty and considerate and caring- all in all, a good thing.

Anonymous said...

The hair does look great! Really. I can see how the change might take some getting used to. Especially bangs.

I let mine out when I'm playing, but for study and work time bobby pins become my best friends.

Keziah Fenton said...

Your hair is so freakin thick. Imagine how great your neck and shoulders will feel when it's all gone. It's a great thing you're doing for your friend. I wish I had done the same for mine when she went through a similar experience. I was too vain, lose my precious hair??, and have felt like a sh** ever since. I gave up edible delicious food a year later when she went on a strict cancer diet. No chocolate, no salt, no sugar, no bread, no dairy, no protein, no taste

JT said...

You look beautiful! And you are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet idea, Dee. You are a really good friend. Not many people would even think of supporting a friend that way. Bless your heart (in the good way).

Kel~ said...

Got to see it in person....and she is gorgeous.....:)

Sheri said...

Dee, you look fabulous! And I am proud of you for being there for your friend--that's what it truly means to be a friend, and you have it figured out. My mom has battled breast cancer not once, but twice. The first time I was about 6 or 7 years old, and the second time was about 12 years ago. She now has a double masectomy and has also fought off uterine cancer, skin cancer, and has had a double by-pass because of an infection she got while dealing with the uterine cancer... All in all, she is a tough woman! But she handles it all with grace and humor. She lost most of her hair with the chemo and she just wore these cute little kerchiefs and stuff and didn't worry about it at all. My mom is now 72 years old. If she can do it, so can your friend. Hugs to both of you...

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Dee, your hair looks great. What a nice thing you did and are going to do, for your friend. Even without a lock you will still be beautiful, inside and out. You have a sweet face. /,)

Penny

Angela said...

Hello Dee,
I'm not sure if you remember that you once dropped a comment in my blog. I almost deleted the whole thing about my sharings about God until I came across your comment. I never knew someone would read it as you did. Thank you.
By the way, nice hair-do!

Take care!
Angela