Friday, July 13, 2007

Day Four - Lunch Break... and WOW do I need it!


Holy Cow! I went to two workshops this morning. Both were great, they really were. But here's the thing... I'm not sure how many more I'm going to attend. Have you gone through this at Nationals?

I came here with a very specific goal in mind: to learn ways to get ready for my pitch in New Jersey. I also gave myself "permission" to miss some workshops if other opportunities presented themselves. You've probably already noticed, or may even already KNOW, that there are no lack of "other opportunities" at an RWA National Conference.

While the workshops are WONDERFUL, they are a tad bit scary as well. I mean, I'm hearing about all of these things that I 'should' be doing, and I was starting to feel a bit... discouraged. So I skipped a workshop and just sat outside and talked to people. VERY. GOOD. CHOICE.

With my "First Timer" ribbon firmly attached to my badge, people seem to want to come up and ask me how I am liking things. This led to a conversation about how things were just so...overwhelming, and how I was learning a lot of things that I am evidently NOT doing, or doing WRONG, though I should add that NOT A SINGLE PERSON has told me those words. It's just a feeling I've gotten, sitting in some of the workshops with people who are SUPERSTARS.

I was instructed to WRITE. That's all. Just write. Yeah, yeah, I've heard that before. And the people that have told me that are very smart people, people whose opinions I value and advice I trust. However, hearing some of the people here tell me that everyone has a different style, a different way of doing things, but the end result is the same - a book? Yes, that's what I needed to hear.

Thinking about it though, I've heard those words before, just said in a better way. Does THERE ARE MANY ROADS TO OZ sound familiar? Yeah, I know. I've been hearing that for months. Actually, for over a year. So I KNOW this already. But hearing it again, in a different way, was nice too.

Lessons learned? I need to WRITE. Take the advice I can use, leave the rest for others. And most of all, here at Nationals - HAVE FUN.

I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dee - WRITE!! (Couldn't resist.)

Cherry Red said...

Dee,

Don't stress. Conferences can be very overwhelming. In Reno I had a little meltdown in Fri mid-morning and had to go back to the room and lay down for a couple of hours. (I'm shy and I was on people overload.)

The info doesn't scare me because I've been a cherry for way too long. It did scare me once (and I had writer's block for 2 years) but I don't let it any more.

"Just write" sounds so simple but really it's the best thing to do. When you are done with Almost Southern you can do more research on polishing, publishing houses, agents, publicity, business plans, etc, but for now, cut yourself some slack and craft the best book you can.

And I know you can.

Huge hugs,
Kim