Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day Two - Recap


It's the end of the day (or the beginning of the next one. Whichever way you look at it is fine with me). I am, still, in awe of this place and the amazing people that are here.

The Literacy signing was overwhelming, but in a good way. There was a huge room, filled with 450 authors, who were just as excited to see me as I was to see them. It was amazing. You saw my list of the people that I got to meet, and those were just the ones whose books I bought. I met others. Many others.

I got to gush at Barbara Samuel, who is actually responsible for the book review blog. I wrote my very first review, not much more than a FGSF, of her Madame Mirabou's School of Love. I adored that book, and couldn't wait to tell people about it. After meeting her tonight, I am even more glad that I told people all about that book. No, our review site isn't HUGE, but it still makes me proud to be able to tell people about books that I've enjoyed.

I met Caridad Ferrer. We reviewed her book, Adios To My Old Life, which is up for a few RITA awards this year. Gret LOVES that book, and Caridad signed a bookmark for Gret. She was just so NICE.

I spoke with Alesia Holliday/Alyssa Day. When I told her that Charity said "hi", she looked at my name tag and smiled BIG, and said that she reads our site. It was a very cool moment for me, since I used to read the LC every day. She even gave me an Alyssa Day bag to carry all of my books.

I had a moment of silence with Eileen Rendahl, another former member of the LC. We both sighed over how the LC is no more. Very sad. But OMB Eileen is just totally gorgeous, and I love her books, and am excited to read her newest one.

I had dinner and drinks with Kristan Higgins. She has been so freakin' amazing to me practically since I checked in. I didn't get a picture with her (or ANY of these people, darn it!), but I was there, with her. She wrote Fools Rush In, Charity's Top Pick of 2006. I have to tell you, she's even more charming than I thought she would be, and I have really loved getting to know her.

I sat with some Cherries at the bar (of course!). I wish I would have had my notepad to write down their names, but I didn't. However, Julie is wonderful, and she gave me a Cherry sticker for my nametag. And I just adore her.

I had drinks (well, just one, but I made it last!) with Vicki Lewis Thompson, who writes the Nerd books. I still can't believe I sat there for a while and talked to her. And guess what - just like all of the other amazing writers I've met here, she's a REAL PERSON. Why this continues to amaze me, I'll never know. But she was wonderful, and funny, and gracious, and, and, and...

I finished the night outside, talking with Misty Simon. I met Misty in March, in Boonseboro. We had lunch together with a few other authors (including Samantha Graves/CJ Barry, who I also saw at lunch today). I had the very best talk with Misty tonight, and it was just great to talk to an author that is a few steps ahead of me career-wise, but who still spoke to me like a peer. Misty is wonderful, and I can't wait to read her books.

I've enjoyed meeting some of the really big name authors. They have all been gracious, warm, giving, and encouraging. But I have to admit that some of my best moments so far have been with some of the newer authors, like Kristan and Misty. There just seems to be an almost instant camaraderie that springs up between people here, whether you are published or not, new to the business or not, scared spitless to speak to a 'star' or not.

Again, just like New Jersey, I feel like I've found my people. I can hardly wait to see who I will meet tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally - PROGRESS.

Sounds like you are having a great time amongst your peers.

SO proud of your for sharing about your Career progress.

Enjoy.

Marcia in OK

Alyssa Day said...

It was SO great to meet you!!!! Thank you so much for coming to say hi!!
hugs,
Alyssa/Alesia