Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A WHAT? You gotta be kiddin' me!

Right in the middle of my latest scene from Almost Southern (which, YES, you will have tomorrow, before I go on my travels!), I heard a frantic wail from below my bedroom.

Now anyone that is a mom, or has the role of a mom, or even knows a mom, generally knows that there are many different types of wails, and they each mean very different things. There is the wail of hunger, most often associated with newborn babies. There is the wail of pain given when an older brother has you in a choke hold, most often followed by the wail of anger when the older brother won't let you go. There is the wail that follows someone turning off the television during the last 3 minutes of "The Gilmore Girls" series finale, most often followed by a wail of pain from an oldest sister hitting someone. Hard.

Yes, there are many wails, but one that always gets me is the wail of "Mommmmmma! Snaaaaaaake! In the houuuuuuuuse!" Um, yeah. That one got my attention, as it's not often heard. Ok, for the record here, I can honestly say that I've NEVER heard that wail before.

So I rushed right out of the room, down the stairs into the kitchen. Here's what I found: my Mags trembling, my Jo squealing, and Michael (who only this morning scared me with his strength during a playful bout of wrestling, which earned me no less than three bruises), sweet Michael, the protector of all things feminine whilst The Man is at work, catching a snake on the stairs that lead to our fully finished basement.

Yes, Virginia, I said a snake. In my house. In the hands of my son.

I have no idea how this snake got in here, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the basement door being not always securely fastened. Still though... a snake. In my house.

Can I just take a moment to say "EWWW!"

See for yourself:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

good Lord, its big. take some more pictures for me please? so i can see them when i get home? love you!

-g

dee said...

I already did. And your brother says to tell you *hello!*, in a very high pitched voice.

Chari-Dee said...

I would have passed out and then called animal control when I came to. I. HATE. Snakes. (no, the kids cannot say that word. yes, I'm being a hypocrite.)

Anonymous said...

I'll see your EWWWWW and DOUBLE IT


EEEEEEWWWWWWWW!

Snake - in the house - that is just Wrong!

Snakes - I'm against them.

Marcia in OK

Keziah Fenton said...

I'm the only who thinks it's cool? What kind is it? Can I touch it? They eat all sorts of icky things, snakes do. And they represent wisdom in some cultures.
Still now with me, huh. Okay, you can use it in a book. It's research. So there, it has value.
Love ya, Good boy, Michael. He should be knighted, defender of all things feminine

JT said...

I am not a fan of snakes - but can I use it in my book?

Michelle said...

Ok, I'm gonna pass out just looking at that thing. Ella probably would have added it to her collection of rubber and plastic snakes, spiders, and other creepies. *shudder* We've been trying to teach her not to touch a real one, being so close to the river and water moccasins and all. *shudder*

Thanks, Dee. No really, thanks.
:P

Sheri said...

Cool! What a beauty! What kind of snakes do you get in your neck of the woods? I love snakes--they are really interesting creatures. (My sil has had a couple of boas and a python--Sam got to be about 7 feet long! She was an awesome snake!)

Hurray for Michael! I second the motion to make him a Knight!

dee said...

Michael Knight? Cute.

It was a black snake, which I know is really a very good snake.

It looks sorta hairy because it was crawling through dryer lint. Go figure.