Friday, May 18, 2007

Where's your place?

No, I don't mean the one that you share with your partner. I'm running a G-rated blog here. Ok, sometimes it veers into PG-13, but still...

I'm on the first day of a trip that will take me from Virgina, through DC and Maryland, West Virginia (three times, actually, though only because of it's shape), PA, Ohio (for a three day stop for a wedding), IN (and a stop to see Bryan and Cathy), IL, MO, OK (where we will see Grams! and Charity and Marcia), Arkansas, TN (and Sheryl from Canada, don't ask why she's in Memphis!), then back to VA. It makes me tired just thinking about it, not to mention how I feel about driving straight through the night to get to Ohio. My husband broke his glasses the day before the trip, and we didn't have time to get a new pair, so I'm going to be doing all of the driving. Normally, I drive during the dark, when it's nice and quiet. He drives during the day, so I can read. Not so much this trip. So, I'm tired. And cranky. That's a lot of places, you know?

However, doing all of that driving last night, I realized that it's the perfect time to write a book, even though I can't technically write while I'm driving. But I got so much figured out last night. I've been really struggling with a certain part, and the quiet of the road really helped me be able to see it.

I want to know where your "quiet car in the dark of the night" is. Where is the place where you can go and pick apart your stories, take apart the pieces, and put them back together again?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I wish I had a quiet car place. Stuff just hits me sometimes, but it's so random. I wish I could find a place/time that I could recreate once in a while. Sometimes the quiet is too quiet, and then other times it's too noisy. Most of the time I can't shut my mind off, but it's so filled with junk I can't pick out the story stuff and hang on to it.

Hope the trip is going well!

amy said...

I like to sort through things in the car, but it's frustrating, because usually I'm interrupted by questions! I also think a lot when I'm (not) falling asleep, but I have to be more disciplined about jotting down those thoughts before I fall asleep...

Keziah Fenton said...

The sower. I get most of my epiphanies in the shower for some reason. I have bathtub crayons in there now so that I can write or diagram on the back wall. I used to forget so much between toweling off and finding paper.
See you this weekend.