Friday, June 23, 2006

In that vein...

Kel had an interesting post the other day. She wrote an essay for school, and she was telling us about the topic. She started out with topics that she didn't choose, and I commented about one of them. That turned into a few more comments and an e-mail between us, trying to get to the root of the issue. Let me prefacet his by saying that I adore her, and besides Shane, she is my very best friend on the face of this planet. She's been through so much with me, and I literally can't imagine my life without her. She's just that important to me. Also, in case you guys are worried, there is nothing that can ever be said in any blog or e-mail that will change the fact that I love her, and she's more than a sister to me. So don't worry, ok?

Her post, and our comments, dealt with something that has been on my mind a LOT lately. She mentioned this: And of course, I love to piss people off, so don't even get me started on a 'woman's place' ~ (sorry nise, just wouldn't be able to say that I agree with aspects of the bible that state what a woman can and can't do or should or shouldn't do (maybe I'll never agree with that one ~ that was sooooo before my era) But it's okay, because you know I love to debate things, specially with you. And that ticked me off a little, because I hold the Bible very close to my heart. Now if you read my blog on a regular basis, you know that I'm a bit crazy sometimes. I don't follow every single thing the Bible preaches, and I don't expect others to either. I try very hard not to be judgemental, and I want people to treat others with love and respect, like Christ did.

Right now, Shane and I are Youth Leaders at our church. We both have such a burden for our youth that it's scary. Part of this is, I'm pretty sure, because Gret is at that age, and Michael is right on her tail. They need a place where they can open up and discuss things that are on their minds, with other teens around, in an environment that is safe.

They don't have school, and for us it's a blessing. We keep a very close eye on where they go, and who they spend time around. We monitor their movies, their internet usage, their music. They understand why, because we explain the dangers. Gret and I talked about this last night, when she actually came close to thanking me for homeschooling her. This was major, because she's wanted to go to school since we took them out 5 years ago. Last night, she talked to me about her friends that went to the middle school, how one was dating a 24 yr old, one was sneaking out of her house and lying to her parents, some were pregnant, some were on drugs. These were people that she sat next to in 4th grade, and wanted to go to school with. Now their lives are so different from hers, and not in a good way. Would she have tried drugs, snuck out, gotten pregnant, if she'd stayed in school? I don't know. I'd like to think not, but I can't be sure. For me, better to be safe and overprotective, than sorry. For her, it was eye-opening, and she finally 'got it'. It was a very cool moment as a parent.

Anyhow, we've tried to make the youth group a place where the teens can be free to talk about what is on their mind, and we try to answer their questions and concerns with Biblical examples. It's not always easy, but it is VERY challenging. And you all know how much I love a challenge. This has gotten me more into my Bible, and studying on a daily basis to be prepared for whatever they might ask. Some of their questions regard sex, drugs, or music. Sometimes they ask about things like roles and gender biases. So Kel's comments really hit a chord.

I understand why, Biblically, women should not be in a position of leadership in a church. I get it. Taking that to an extreme and saying that women can't teach, or that women should all stay home, is offensive in the extreme. In the Bible, Paul admitted that his disciple, Timothy, was taught by his mother and grandmother. There were women leaders in the early church. Lydia was a rich woman who opened her home and her wallet to the first missionaries. The Samaritan woman that Jesus spoke with at the well brought the whole town out to hear the Lord speak. The Bible has all sorts of examples of women bringing people to the Lord, of women being strong, and of women being Godly. Men don't hold the patent on Godliness or holiness.

As Kel mentioned in her comments, it's not really about what the Bible says though. It's about how people try to twist what the Bible says to fit their own ideas of what should be right or wrong. That's why I've had such a hard time finding a church that fits. I take a very strong line on the Bible. I'm a Fundamentalist at heart, I guess. However, the churches that call themselves Fundamental churches seem to preach a sort of twisted and distorted view of the Bible. From homosexuality, to women in leadership, to abortion, to drinking, I try to find my answers in the book. If it's not in there, then it's just a person's view, and that's not quite the same as God's view at ALL. I hate that people in my church try to cloak their biased views in Biblical sounding arguments, choosing to ignore other parts of the Bible in the process. Is homosexuality wrong? Is abortion? Is drinking? Possibly. But NO MORE WRONG than any other "sin" that these same condemners commit every single day. Homosexuality is no more wrong than gluttony, yet our Preacher is at least 30 pounds overweight. Abortion is no more wrong than covetousness, yet the church is rife with people who constantly want "more" things. Drinking is no more wrong than anger, yet people will get red in the face telling you how wrong a glass of wine is. It's disgusting to me, it really is. I mean, I have homosexual friends. I know people that have had abortions, I even contemplated it at one point in my life. I drink. Does that make me any more or less worthy of Heaven?

Those things have nothing to do with me getting to Heaven. That's the point that so many people fail to realize. Whether or not I drink, smoke, abort 10 times, kill 40 people, or have sex with a woman, will not keep me from Heaven. If I try my best to live a 'perfect' life, and not commit a single sin between now and when I die, that won't get me to Heaven either. See, it's not because of who I am, or what I've done. It's because of who He is, and what He did. That's from a song, btw. As long as I know that Christ came to earth and died for my sins, as long as I accept Him as my Lord and Saviour, that's it. There is no extra anyting involved. Yes, after that, I should want to be different. I should strive to be more like Him. However, He already knows that I will falter sometimes. He doesn't say that I have to believe on Him AND... He just says BELIEVE. I do. And if that's not enough for the church leaders, then they are the ones with the problems. And they will be the ones explaining that to God someday.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. That's all. Nothing else.

***Stepping down off the soap box now. Returning you to your regularly scheduled blogging crazy woman***

4 comments:

Chari-Dee said...

I agree. Completely with every thing you said.

My dad, who knows the Bible better than anyone I know, is the first to tell you that he knows it backwards. He says any one who professes to know the Bible the correct way doesn't know the Bible at all.

When I was bowling a lot there was a man who asked me one time, how could I drink beer and mixed drinks and still claim to be a Christian. I replied with, how can you ask me such a question and still claim to be a Christian. When I told me dad he quoted a passage from the Bible, I don't remember the exact wording but it went something like - drink not of the water but of the wine. With a smile my dad said, The Bible can be interpreted many ways and people will always find a passage that can work for them at that moment, to justify anything.

It is the truth. I didn't comment on Kel's last post because I get like you and get rather heated when it comes to such things.

Have fun on your day-ate tonight!

Cherry Red said...

Very nice post. I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I was raised Catholic and still consider myself a Catholic even though I am pro-choice and I don't think homosexuality is a sin. IMHO, what each of us do in our life on earth is between us and God, it's not my right to judge people because we are all sinners.

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

I agree with a lot of the comments made by charity and cherry red. Because of my health I have not been able to attend church for over a year and I miss it but as was pointed out to me, it is not whether you go to church or not, but how you live your life.

I guess I miss the people but I miss the service too and the hymns. I am Anglican which is equivalent to your Episcopalian I think.

As cherry red said we have no right to judge others.

Rant away Dee. ;-)

Sheri said...

wow Dee. That was awesome. You brought tears to my eyes because you are so right on with what you believe! I am so tired of people trying to tell me that this sin is more a "sin" than that sin! Even one sin keeps us out of heaven--just one, no matter if it is huge or tiny. All that matters in the end is that I believe that Jesus did what He did because of who He is and He did it for me. works won't save me. Faith will save me. Amen, sister, you just keep on preachin' the word!! I have friends who are gay, also, and I would never presume to tell them they are going to hell for that. A guy I grew up with is a devout Christian, plays organ for his church, is in a committed relationship, and he is gay. Yeah, so what? I probably sin a lot more than he does any given day! My daughter is fighting me a little on the whole private Christian school thing. She thinks she would like to go to a charter school instead of her Christian school. Basically I told her "no way" because I would have to worry so much more about who she was friends with, what they were doing, and all that. Many of the kids she is at school with are the children of my own classmates or their younger siblings. That kind of community is nothing to take lightly. I feel safe with her there and I know she is not only getting an excellent education, she is also getting gorunded in her faith as well. Next to teaching her myself, it is the best she can get and I am not willing to give that up. So you just keep doing what you are doing, Dee--obviously you are doing a great job and it is wonderful that your daughter is starting to realize that. Hopefully mine will also...