Saturday, June 10, 2006

Where to go from here

I have the beginnng of a really fun story.

I've always heard that you should write what you know. The other story, the one starring the lady that lives at full volume in my head, is pretty hard to write. It's got some things in it that are very close to my heart, but a lot that is a bit removed. Anyhow, part of it deals with my chick's mom's death, and how that really affects the rest of her life. I know this, because I lived it a few years back. It was hard. Really, really hard. It still is. So there are times when, even though I know I should be writing, I just can't. May was sort of hard, as Mother's Day was looming, and I just get very BLAH around that time. Her mom was pretty crazy, like mine. However, there are a lot of things that are very different. But still, it hits pretty close to home.

This new story, the one that hit me Thursday, is even closer, but not so hard to write. BTW, it seems I'm writing WF, not romance. I had fully intended to do romance at first, because I read so much romance that it just seemed natural to start there. But then the first story started going in a very different direction (thanks, Lorraine!), and I drifted far from romance. This new one is not romance at all. It has romance at the heart of it, I guess. But really, it's about how to deal with love after romance, or how to keep romance, or what to do when you lose romance, or something. Not quite sure yet, but I do know that it's not a romance, if that makes sense. For one, there isn't a romantic man in it. At least not yet. Not quite sure about that one either. There is the possibility that a few very romantic men will show up, but right now, they are nowhere to be seen.

Anyhow, I really like this story. I'm not sure if it's fresh, or original, or new, or anything. All I know is that it popped into my head, and I can see these people like they were real. Of course, they are real, at least to me. And they are based on some real people that I know. And that is both scary and very fun. So I was sitting out on my front porch, jotting down notes, and I just wanted to be back here at my keyboard, typing. I want to be back in the story. I was trying to be good, plotting a little, finding the right direction for my tale, but my gut tells me not to try to figure it out, just go where it takes me. Then I glanced down at the pen I was using, and decided I really needed to be inside, at my keyboard. See, it's my Jenny Crusie pen. I don't know where I got it. I think it may have come in the e-bay purse. It's red, and it feels really good in my hand. And it says, "The girls are always right". And that was just so perfect for my story. Because well, it's about girls. And how wrong they feel in their lives. And how they want to change things. And be right. And they're going to realize that they are right, have almost always been right, but just didn't realize it. But it's going to take some time. And some booze. And a few days on a beach. Just like real life.

So, in honor of my new story that seems to just want to flow right out of my fingertips (swear to God I've never typed so fast in my life!!), I'm taking a road trip next week. Without the kids. To the place that my girls will be heading. With one of my friends. Did I mention without the kids? Oh, I did? Well, just in case you missed it, I'll be without the kids. I'm sure I will miss them, but I also know that I will enjoy myself. And I will be able to write more.

Shane thinks I'm kidding when I say that I'm going for research. If you recall, I used that line when Kel and I went to Vegas as well. But guess what I found when I was searching my purse for Black Honey lipstick yesterday? EIGHT pages of character, plot, and scene notes that I did out there for my other story. I was flabbergasted. I really can't remember taking so many pages of notes. I remember the drinking, the late nights, the blogging, finding the perfect Cherry shoes, but I don't remember writing so much. And they were GOOD notes, too. So I plan on using my time away next week as another research trip.

Does anyone know if you can deduct gas and hotel bills for your taxes, if you were writing during a road trip?

3 comments:

Wigged Out said...

I believe you can deduct any expenses incurred while researching, not so sure about a writing roadtrip though. I would think so.

And Hey! I think I sent you that pen. Along with some pencils and cherry earrings when I sent your kids the books? Ring a bell?

And whooppee!! You go on that story. I lovelovelove when they come like that.

dee said...

Lorraine,
You are SOOOOO right about the pen. I think I was just so blown away by those books that I didn't pay close enough attention to the other things in the box. I finished all 4 of them, btw. They are AMAZING!!
And I'm still jammin on the story. It's going really good right now. Of course, I'm a little scared of what happens when the juices stop flowin and it's time to go back and start making sense of it all. But I'm trying really hard to just not think about that right now.
Nothin but good time ahead right now!

Kel~ said...

UHHHH hello, you know I need to go to the beach and do research on houses since it looks liike I will be going there...(Damian may not be going DI) "I dont know if i told you rthis allready if not sorry. There is a 70 %
channe they are not approving my drill field request and IM going to be on
the next MEU. SO start looking at base housing on lejeune and if that goes
through you can move down whenever you want because there will be no need to
wait for DI school. THe SgtMaj of the Marine Corps says that he doesn't
want SNCO's to spend any less than 3 years or 3 deployments in the fleet,
that is the reason. I still have one angle to try but it doesnt look good."

Need to find a house before september.