Tuesday, June 20, 2006

R&R&R

Reading, rest, and relaxation. That's what the mommy wanted. That's what the reader wanted. That's what the husband said to get done. Yeah, plans are so nice, aren't they?

Well, we left Thursday morning for Virginia Beach. We got down there around 11am. It was awesome to be there, away from everyday life. We checked in to the Dolphin Inn EARLY (Thank you very nice Reception Desk lady that let us in 4 hours before we were supposed to be there). We changed into beachwear and headed off to the ABC store (Alcohol Beverage Commission, for those of you that are NOT in Virginia). Hey, a girl needs her beach supplies, right?

We purchased a bottle of Jose Cuervo and two bottles of mix, with the intention of making some margaritas. Then we realized that we didn't ahve a pitcher to mix them in. Well, hey, we're resourceful, and really thirsty, so we head to one of those tourist beach stores. Guess what we bought. A BIG RED PAIL. You know, the kind that the kids use to make sand castles. IT had an attached shovel with it, perfect for stirring. Really, it was quite adorable.

So we mixed up one full bottle of the mix with one half bottle of tequila. Yeah, that didn't last so long, after we poured it into our new squirt/water bottles. But hey, we weren't planning on lushing, right? Aaaaaanywaaaay...

We headed down to the sand, spread out our towels, splashed on our oil, and pulled out our books. That lasted for about 30 minutes, until we both had sweat pouring off our bodies. In to the freezing water we ran, splashing and laughing like two kids. We wave jumped for a while, then headed back to the towels. Then I did a bad bad thing. I went back to the room and refilled my cup, using the rest of the bottle of te-kill-me and other bottle of mix. Back to the beach for me, where I finished off my new margarita and fell asleep. On my towel. In the middle of the day. On my stomach. Wearing a two piece swimsuit (WITH CHERRIES ON IT) for the first time in over a decade. There are parts of my body that have not seen sunlight in ages. Those parts saw the sun on Thursday. For HOURS. Can I just say...OUCH!

Thursday, my friend Bill took us to the Jewish Mother for dinner, where I ate awesome shrimp and drank mroe margaritas. Then we went to Bill's son's graduation. Well, part of it. After Mike's name was called, I looked over at Candace (Bill's oldest daughter) and said "I'll give you a margarita if you'll drive us back to our hotel RIGHT NOW". Candace is a smart girl, plus she was pretty thirsty. Well, she really thinks I'm cool too. So she risked the wrath of her mom and took us back. We had another margarita, then Bill showed back up. With beer. Then Candace left and Mike showed up. They hung out for a little bit, then left.

My alarm woke me at 5am. I wanted to see the sunrise and the dolphins. I saw one of them. No dolphins this trip, sorry. I was bummed about not seeing my dolphin friends, but also very glad that I felt no ill-affects of the previous night. So I decided to do it again. After breakfast, we headed back to the beach, with more margaritas. Again, I refilled. Again, I fell asleep. This time on my back. Hey, I'm not stupid, I knew not to burn the same places again. This time though, my face got really red. Now I look like a snake shedding. I'm sure the guests at the restaurant appreciate my face peeling!

Anyhow, it was sad to realize that our trip had to end. I really enjoyed my time down there. The only thing that could have been better was if I'd had a better book. No book suggestions from this trip, the one I had was not so great. Of course, it wasn't a Crusie, or a Cherry writer, so I'm not surprised. I think I've been tainted by good books. I'm getting harder to please. However, I did start "Envy" by Sandra Brown. It took me 4 days to read, because I tend to linger over her books. I just really enjoy them, and like to make them last as long as possible. I finished it late Sunday night and was not disappointed.

I'm glad I'm back home now. I missed my wee ones. I missed my man. I even missed my blog. But I gotta tell ya, I've been dreaming of margaritas on the beach all day long today. I may just have to head back down there again soon. Anyone wanna join me?

5 comments:

Chari-Dee said...

Glad you're back!! Sounds like you had a great time.

Put lots of aloe on the burns!!!

Cherry Red said...

I missed you! Sounds like you had a fine time, though. I burn like no one's business, so I'd have been relaxing in the hotel room with my book. :) Or at least under and umbrella or an awning. :)

I loved "Envy." Wasn't that cool? A book within a book? I wasn't all that wild about the Crush, but I do like most of Sandra Brown's books. :)

My current read is Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey. (LOOOOVVVING IT) If you like a great big THICK fantasy story, I highly recommend it. Of course, you need to read the first 3 books (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar) to really appreiciate Scion if you're interested. Carey is a Goddess. I want to be her when I grow up.

Kim:)

Kel~ said...

Okay, so you go to my stomping grounds and you don't take me!!! Hmp! Some friend you are, I am so just kidding! You know I love ya to death. You're braver than I am though, I still don't think that I am ready for a kini, even though that is all that I own. Plus it would probably help if I stick a little more to my workout...you know that it would kick my butt. So slowly but surely (definitely by Oct) I will be one buff chick. Like I was before...glad you had fun, I guarentee you would have had more if I was there, but then I guess once you hit your age, you don't party like us young uns at 30...LOL J/K Love you!

Wigged Out said...

First of all, WELCOME BACK!!!

Second of all, I TOTALLY second what Cherry Red said about the Kushiel Books. Must. Read. Them.

Must.

They have a wonderful romance at the core, and are just amazing books. The only caveat is for the first hundred pages of the first book, don't worry too much about who is who and names and titles and stuff, just read for Phedre's story.

But be prepared to disappear from the real world for a while. ;-) They're very all consuming.

dee said...

oh, that's just great.
now i have more books to read. just what i needed! i should make a huge list then go to half.com and place a huge order.
actually, now that i think about it, that's just what i'm going to do!