Monday, June 05, 2006

Queen of the Flies

I really love summertime. It's one of my three favorite seasons. I long for it in December. I ache for it in January. I look forward to it in February. By March, the weather is getting less cold, and I am content for a spell. However, by late May, I can't wait til it's really hot. I LOVE SUMMER.

But man, I HATE flies. They are everywhere right now. They drive me nuts! The little critters can get to every room in the house, and they just seem to multiply. I sit outside on my front porch and watch them buzzing around, wondering of they are trying to figure out a way inside. Of course, the way is easy. If you have children, you already know what I mean.

I've become the DOOR NAZI around my house. I can sense it when a door to the outside is open for more than 10 seconds, and I start yelling. The kids have started to anticipate my yells. Before I get halfway into "SHUT THAT DOOR NOW!!" they are already responding, "OKAY!!".

Part of this is because I hate paying to air condition the outside. Really though, it's mostly because of the flies. I sat outside yesterday and watched my baby stand at the open door for thirty seconds. During that time, 5 flies made their way inside the house. My husband thought I was going to blow a gasket as I tried to calmly explain to her why she must either go in or come out, standing there with the door ajar was just not an option.

Today, I decided to make it a financially beneficial venture for me. When I am outside, and my wonderful children need to speak with me, they must either come outside, or wait until I decide to come inside. If they stand in the door, they will have to pay me a quarter for every single fly that I see go into my house. Does that sound crazy? Maybe so. But it seems to be working. They've become oh so much more conscious of the door being open.

Now you know how much I can't stand flies. What bug really bugs you? Why? Don't tell me about the ones that you fear, like spiders. Tell me about the ones that make you want to scream in frustration.

1 comment:

Chari-Dee said...

I'll second the fly thing. Only, I'm probably as bad as my kids when it comes to standing in an open doorway.

ANTS!!! I hate those things and they are everyWHERE! Can't kill 'em either, they just won't flippin' die!

Glad To See Your Back!