Friday, May 05, 2006

Florence, and more Cherry shoes


I know, I need to get the pic of my sweet Cherry shoes up. I got a few really cool comments on that last blog though. One of them was from Cherry Red. She pointed me to some cool shoes on Ebay, by searching for TUK. Yes, those shoes are awesome, thanks. But then I decided to broaden my search. If you haven't done that yet, go to ebay and search for "shoes cherry". I promise you, you won't be disappointed. I've already placed a few bids.

Ok, after heading over to Cherry Red's blog site, I noticed that she says she wouldn't live anywhere but California, EXCEPT Spain or FLORENCE. So I asked her if she'd been to Florence. Well, follow the link to her site in my comments, then check out her reply about her trip overseas. I'm seriously wondering if she's my long lost twin. She had the very same reaction that I did when I got off the train in Firenze. I mean, it was the first place ever that I felt "HOME", besides in Shane's arms. That's saying something major.

We took the train from Pisa, just because we wanted to be away from all the Navy people. They were mostly staying in Livorno, or heading to Rome. After months with these people, we wanted away. So Florence was the answer. Pulling in to the station filled me with such excitement. It was like I knew that I belonged there. We got off the train and just started wandering around, no direction in mind, no place to be, just enjoying being in Florence. We hit bookstores, we saw churches, and we walked. I got thirsty, and wanted cappucino. We stopped at this charming little cafe, with tables outside. You know the kind, with the big umbrellas. You see them in all the movies. Well, they really exist. We're sitting there at our table, birds are flying around the sqaure, the cappucino is amazing, and I half turn in my seat to see the statues. And I'm looking at the David. No, not a guy, I mean THE DAVID. Right there, across the square. Bigger than life. It was one of those moments that will be forever etched in my brain. This is something that I had always dreamed about, but never thought would actually happen, sitting in an Italian square, sipping cappucino with the man of my dreams, pigeons flying, perfect day, and having the David in the background. No, really, it was a dream I've had since I was a kid. And it came true that day. If I hadn't already known that I bleonged in Firenze, that moment would have sealed it for me.

After our coffees, we walked and shopped some more. There is an Italian leather brand, called The Bridge, that is amazing. I had to buy a shaving kit for Shane. He still has it. Of course, our main purpose of the trip was to find me a ring. He bought me the perfect diamond on the Ponte Vecchio bridge. Now, since he bought it there, it's not nearly as big as many rings that my friends have. But you know, just the memory of those perfect days, just seeing that bridge in my head, they more than make up for it. I couldn't love my ring more if it was a 5 carat perfect stone. In my mind, it really is - perfect.

Our hotel was amazing. It was one of those places where there was a sign outside the door, but you have no idea what it will be like inside. We just walked in, up to the front desk, and asked for a room. They gave us one. Room is an understatment. It was two floors. With a winding staircase. And a beautiful fresco. Really, the most gorgeous room I have ever seen. I cried when I left that room.

I've never taken Italian lessons. I spent my 4 years of high school in French class. I was fluent in Spanish as a youngster, but didn't keep up my skills. That didn't seem to matter. It was the weirdest thing, but I knew what they were saying to me. And before an hour, I was speaking back to them. I mean, I was talking Italian to these people, and they weren't looking at me like some dumb Americain butchering their beautiful language. I even had someone ask me if I was a native speaker, or had an Italian grandmother. No to both questions, but I was quite flattered.

Cherry Red also said that she was sad to leave Florence, even though she was heading to Nice. Well, I have to tell you, that's just what happened to us. Our next port was Cannes. My whole trip, I'd been looking forward to France. I'd taken the language in high school, wanted to fulfill my mom's dream of seeing the Eiffel Tower, already had leave papers in for Paris... And I couldn't stop crying on our train ride out of Florence. I just felt like I was leaving a piece of me there. I know that some people truly love Rome, and Venice captures many hearts. I understand that many fall for Paris, or Nice or Cannes. But for me, there is only one city where I long to be, only one place calls to me across the night winds. I can still hear the bells, see the glistening top of the Duomo, feel the breeze, smell the food, taste the coffee, enjoy the view of the Bridge... ahhh, Firenze. My heart aches to see you again!!

And that's why, when my dear sweet husband went looking for a wallpaper for me, what he found was "Florence under snow". It shows my beautiful city, under a blanket of soft white. Sometimes I close all of my open working windows on my screen, just to relive those few glorious days. I'll make it back there again, at least if Shane knows what's good for him. Until then, I think Bogart messed up the name of the city, because for me..."We'll always have FLORENCE".

(Just in case you were wondering, the pic above is called "Florence in the Snow". Shane sent it to me to use as a wallpaper. Now I can see the Ponte Vecchio all the time!)

4 comments:

dee said...

Personally, Rome does nothing for me.
I know exactly what youmean. Florence wasn't even supposed to be on our itenerary. We were supposed to go to Rome and Venice. We hit Florence for two days at the beginning of our nine day stop in Italy. I LOVED it. I never wanted to leave.
Then we went to Rome. Honestly, aside from the tourist sites that I'd seen in movies for years, it was just like any other big city. We were there right before the Jubilee. I remember sitting in an Irish pub (that still makes me laugh!) and watching the Pope wave from his window. He'd just got back from America. We saw the Vatican, and all the rest of the 'shtuff'. However, the first day we were there was the coldest day on record in over 100 years. It was miserable.
I had to see the Trevi Fountain, of course. My mother and I had watched "three Coins in the Fountain" more times than I can remember, and I just had to see it for her. Well, it was frozen. Can you believe that? Forzen almost solid. Still beautiful, but really disappointing. Not the fault of the Romans, of course, but I still couldn't help feeling a little down the whole time we were there.
We were supposed to take a trip to Venice, but it got cancelled 10 minutes before it started. We got our money back, and Shane asked what to do for the next two days. He asked, then looked at me. I just smiled. "So, you want to go back to Florence, huh?" Yes, I LOVE that man. He knows me so well.
So we went back to Florence. And again, I cried when I left.
Now, I have Tuscan things all over my house. My kitchen is Italian coffees. My dining room is Tuscan countrysides with lots of wine bottles.
My heart is still in Firenze. And probably always will be.
(But I'll be sure to check out Orvieto when I head back there!! thanks for the tip!)

ConnectTheDots said...

If someone already told/showed you how to allow for annoymous comments, then just ignore this!

When you go in to post a new blog, you'll see 4 big tabs: Posting, Settings, Template, and View Blog.

Go to settings.

Then you'll have these choices: Basic, Publishing, Formatting, Comments, etc.

Go to Comments.

Then for "Who Can Comment?", select "Anyone"

That should do it.

Hopefully.

Good luck!

Wigged Out said...

Oh man, now I really want to go to Florence. Have you read Susan Elizabeth Phillips, BREATHING ROOM? If not, you might really enjoy it as it takes place in Florence and she is SUCH a terrific writer.

And how on earth did Brandy end up on your list of favorite music? Wasn't that waaay before your time?

Although, just for the record, I ADORED that song for years and had forgot about it until I saw it on your profile.

What were you saying about that east coast/west coast thing? ;-)

dee said...

thank you, connectthedots! I will make sure to do that.

lorraine, Brandy had always been one of my favorite songs. It came out the year I was born. My mom used to play it on 45 all the time. That's also how I'm such a HUGE Van Morrison fan. Brandy is my #1 song, and Into the Mystic is my #2 song of all time. Both were technically before my time. I tell people that I was born in the wrong decade, because most of the music that I really enjoy is from the 60's/early 70's, popular before I was born, or when I was a very small child.
Plus, being a former Navy person, Brandy just has always called to my soul.
I think that's one thing that really intrigued me about Florence. I feel out of place in any town that is not near water. My husband takes me on trips to the ocean on a regular basis, just to feel sand between my toes. Florence is not on the ocean, but I still love it. Kinda weird.