Wednesday, May 24, 2006

So, what's your sign?

Yes, it may be a really passe pickup line, but it still makes me think. I used to think that you could learn a lot about a person from their astrological sign. I mean, sometimes it seems right on the money, doesn't it?

I'm a Cancer, or a Moonchild, as I prefer to be called. Some of those descriptions are very accurate for me. For instance, I found this on the following website, and it is pretty close to me http://www.astrology-online.com/cancer.htm

The Cancerian character is the least clear-cut of all those associated with the signs of the zodiac. It can range from the timid, dull, shy and withdrawn to the most brilliant, and famous Cancerians are to be found through the whole range of human activity. It is a fundamentally conservative and home-loving nature, appreciating the nest like quality of a secure base to which the male can retire when he needs a respite from the stresses of life, and in which the Cancerian woman can exercise her strong maternal instincts. The latter tends to like and to have a large family.

Yep, that's pretty much ME, to a tee. But the Zodiac isn't the only one that nails me. I was cruising Cherry Red's blogsite ( cherryredwriter.
blogspot.com) and came across her Enneagram symbol. She's a 4. I wanted to know what the heck that meant, so I clicked on the icon. I took the mini-test and found that I'm a 2. Well, that seemed to fit ok for me as well. Click on the icon over there on the right (or use this link: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/ ), take the test, and see if it fits you. Here's the down and dirty on me, though I'm not all too thrilled with some of it:

The Caring, Interpersonal Type:

Generous, Demonstrative, People-Pleasing, and Possessive

    Basic Fear: Of being unwanted, unworthy of being loved
  • Basic Desire: To feel loved

Then there's the Myers-Briggs test. If you've ever been in the military, seen a high school guidance counselor, or taken a college psychology test, you're probably already familiar with this one. I found one online ( http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm ), and Kel found one too. I
took the mini there, and reaffirmed that I am, in fact, an INFP. Honestly, I think this one comes the closest to really describing me. Here's a sample of what it says. If you know me (or think you do) tell me if you think it fits:

Healer Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in striving for their ends, and informative and introverted in their interpersonal relations. Healer present a seemingly tranquil, and noticiably pleasant face to the world, and though to all appearances they might seem reserved, and even shy, on the inside they are anything but reserved, having a capacity for caring not always found in other types. They care deeply-indeed, passionately-about a few special persons or a favorite cause, and their fervent aim is to bring peace and integrity to their loved ones and the world.

So, with all of that, you'd think I'd have a pretty clear picture of myself, right? If you actually sais "YES" then you really don't know me at all. I still have no clue. And what's worse - I think I'm even more confused now than when I started. See, maybe it's part of my personality, maybe it's my upbringing, maybe it's my self-induced transformation since becoming a MOM, but I just don't know that I really fit into any category anymore. Now that's about conceited, huh? I mean, to think that I'm not categorizable (yeah, like THAT'S a word!) means that I'm unique, right? I'm different. *I* am the square peg, and I will NOT be stuffed into that stupid round hole. Got it?


Now if I could just figure out a way to embody all of those good things and get rid of the bad, I'd be happy.

6 comments:

Cherry Red said...

I'm a Moonchild too. And I am such a typical one in every aspect but the having kids part. I am maternal about those I care about: family and friends, I love my home and I love to be home, I am moody.... seriously, such a cancer... and such an INFJ.

I got the whole packet of info from the institute and I swear, the only thing that was wrong was the part on my sex life. Every sinngle other aspect of it nailed me.

See? Can't peg me either. There's always something about me that won't let me fit into a cookie cutter mold. :)

Intersting isn't it? All of it.

My Chinese horoscope isn't *anything* like me. You ever look at yours?

Kim:)

Wigged Out said...

"So, with all of that, you'd think I'd have a pretty clear picture of myself, right? If you actually sais "YES" then you really don't know me at all."

You know, I think that very uncertainty, that longing to be able to see and define who we are and our inability to do so is a VERY INF trait. I'll try to remember where I read that.

Says the INFJ. Although, I notice the older I get, the closer I move to the P side of things. ;-)

Kel~ said...

ENFP - Champion Idealist - me according to the Myers Brigg. Pretty consistent with me and all my tests that I have taken in my Psych classes.


Enneagram: Type 7 The Enthusiast
The Busy, Fun-Loving Type:
Spontaneous, Versatile, Acquisitive, and Scattered
Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs
fulfilled
SOOO true that I am scattered.

Me - A Libra, my ruling planet Venus. 'Libra is the only inanimate sign of the zodiac, all the others representing either humans or animals. Many modern astrologers regard it as the most desirable of zodiacal types because it represents the zenith of the year. Librans too are among the most civilized of the twelve zodiacal characters. They have elegance, charm and good taste, are naturally kind, very gentle, and lovers of beauty, harmony and the pleasures that these bring.

I would have to have Dee comment on this one...she knows me the best through all stages of my life...geez she met me as a stupid giddy teenager. (oh and still waiting for the Middlesworth descrip...Friday is sooooon coming!)

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Hi Dee:
Loved your site. I think you are happy judging from what you say on HW/SW blog comments.

I love what you had to say about your husband. Six kids? OMG! and home schooling. Good for you. It is a lot of work but at least you know exactly the kind of education your kids are getting and I bet it is a good one.

See you back on Jenny/Bob site.

dee said...

Scope Dope, you are just the nicest person. Thanks for checking out my blog!!

Cherry Red said...

Dee?

Where are you? Its been an entire WEEK now. This is a big break for you.

Let us know if you plan on going away so we won't worry.