Monday, May 15, 2006

That mental list...

What do you want to do before you die? Do you, like me, have that mental list that you refer to every so often? Do you revise it? Do you add to it? How did your list come to be? What sorts of things are on your list? Do you want to cure cancer? Sing with Madonna? Scale a pyramid? What have you already crossed off your list? Was it crossed because you completed it, or because it no longer holds any appeal? I want to hear all about your list. I want to crawl inside your head and see what is at the top of your list, and understand why. I think people's lists offer an insight into the real person that years of freindship sometimes can not.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

In no particular order:
- See my name on the front of a published book
- Re-trace Paul's first missionary journey
- See Rent on Broadway
- Own my own B&B
- Visit Aruba sober
-
Walk the entire Louvre
- Return to Solvang, CA just for some chocolate
- See the gulls return to Capistrano
- Travel across country on the back of Shane's motorcycle
- Ride a riverboat down the Mississippi
- Visit the Congo
- See Ayers Rock
- Be in Times Square on New Year's Eve
- Walk the Trail of Tears
- See U2 in concert (again!)
- Spend a month in the Highlands

Some of the things I have already crossed off the list: (ALL accomplished, btw)
- Seen the Eiffel Tower
- Ridden a camel (in Oman, no less)
- been through the Suez Canal
- Ridden a train across Italy
- Taken a bus across country
- Been in a hot air balloon
- Slept on a beach all night
- Been to a rain forest
- Drank a Hurricane on Bourbon Street
- See 3 of the 4 oceans (I have no desire to see the Arctic!)
- Went to a Van Morrison concert (on St. Patrick's Day, in NYC no less)

I have to thank my wonderful husband for helping me to cross off so many things.

I sometimes look at my life now and think that it is not what I intended it to be. Sometimes I even get a bit down about that. This list helps me keep things in perspective. No, I didn't imagine I'd be home with 6 kids. But then again, I never thought I'd be able to say that I've walked the Seine or heard Van sing "Brown-eyed Girl" in person, either. I've had a pretty decent life, so far. And I still have a lot left to do.

So tell me, what's on YOUR list?

4 comments:

Wigged Out said...

Hey! I'm right near Solvang! When you finally get out here again for chocolate, we can have a nice long gabfest about writing.

(Trying this comment thing again.)

dee said...

That would just be soooo awesome. I haven't been there in years. I just remember walking down cobblestone streets and feeling like I was gaining weight just brething the air!

The Merry said...

Swallows! The swallows return to Capistrano! The gulls are already there ;)

dee said...

oh geez, Mary, you are so right.
See what happens when I type things from memory instead of checking? I look like an idiot on my own blog.
Thanks for the correction.